Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wanting to start breeding African Cichlids. Using a ratio of 1m - 4f per tank??, what size tanks would be best?

Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ok, mbuna cichlids is still not a species, but your getting closer. For a single species breeding tank you could use a 30 or 40 gallon with a 36"x18" footprint, the only difference between the 30 and 40 is the height.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Lots of different ways to go depending if you are aiming strictly at breeding for pure production or using a tank for pleasure with breeding if it happens. I'm more the accidental breeder type. I do pay attention to avoid mutts. With that, I find having tanks for grow out to be much more a problem. Thirty and up for many will work for the main tank but then lots of smaller tanks (10-20) for growing them to good size to sell. Right now, I have one 75 where the breeding occurs and four small growout and that is not enough for small tanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry. Here is a list of what I want to start breeding.

Labidochromis caeruleus
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Metriaclima callainos
Pseudotropheus socolofi

I am wanting to do it as a hobby.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would start with 1 male 5 females Labidochromis caeruleus in a 40 gallon breeder and you should be fine breeding them. Make sure to get them from 2 different breeders to make genetics better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.