Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i was growing out this fish for a buddy of mine in my 125, but now that i have gotten attached to "King Midas" i am thinking of keeping him, however, i cant unless i put him in a tank of his own. i dont think he will get along with the 2 oscars, jag, and GT. so what size should i get, i have a 55 sitting around, but for a fish that can get up to 16 inches im sure this is too small.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
a 75 would be the absolute minimum! A 55 gal would work for a little while and long enough for you to build enough money and make room for a 75 but it wouldn't work longterm.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Well...it's hard to say. For an RD, it would be a 55gal minimum for a female all by herself, or 75gal for a male all by himself. But that fish you have has more than just RD or Midas in it, so it could add a bit of size to a female...so I'd say a 75gal minimum is safest.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A 75 would be great, but a 55 could work.

By the way, I wouldn't expect to see many 16" red Devils!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah, 12" might be the max you will see. I plan to keep my midas/red devil in a 55 gallon for at least another year (10 months old now). I like King Midas (stores name away for another time) :D

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
dogofwar said:
99% of RDs in captivity would die for 55g of water to themselves.
and 99% of Red Devils in captivity will die from inadequate conditions...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If keeping a single red devil in a 55g is "inadequate" then how did this one - raised in a 55g - win ACA a few years ago?

http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php ... 24215&st=0

Bigger is always better when it comes to big cichlids, but come on.

Keeping a RD in a 20H leads to the deformities, etc. that you see in 80% of the RDs and Oscars that you see traded into LFS (where they're dumped into another 20H or a 55g with 4 others).

Keeping one in a 55g, while less than perfect (probably a 125g), is FAR from inadequate (and FAR better than the vast majority of RDs kept by fishkeepers).

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Taking into consideration that midas cichlids grow a bit larger then red devils and that most RD's/Midas sold in the hobby today are cross breeds I would have to say a 75 would be a long term solution with a 55 being suitable for the first year or so, unless you're absolutely positive that your red devil is of pure lineage, in which case you can use a 55 comfortably.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
The original post I quoted was a gross exaggeration… and my response was a counter exaggeration… yet the principal of it I stand behind as true…

The original post I quoted said they would die for a 55... Which means they are in something smaller than a 55... Implying quite smaller…

I do believe that keeping a RD in a tank that is quite smaller than a 55 gal will most likely lead to an unhealthy, probably dead, fish.

As to the ACA winner in a 55 gal, notice how it is mentioned (“What's unbelievable was that he kept it in a 55 gallon tankâ€

·
Registered
172 Posts
dogofwar said:
If keeping a single red devil in a 55g is "inadequate" then how did this one - raised in a 55g - win ACA a few years ago?

http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php ... 24215&st=0

Bigger is always better when it comes to big cichlids, but come on.

Keeping a RD in a 20H leads to the deformities, etc. that you see in 80% of the RDs and Oscars that you see traded into LFS (where they're dumped into another 20H or a 55g with 4 others).

Keeping one in a 55g, while less than perfect (probably a 125g), is FAR from inadequate (and FAR better than the vast majority of RDs kept by fishkeepers).
Cinderella was kept in a basement for the majority of her life, does it make her less pretty? No just that she had a sucky life.

·
Registered
290 Posts
what do u guys think of keeping an RD in a 55g for a year or so, then upgrading to something larger?
Also, is the main problem with keeping an RD in a 55g is the width or the water volume?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Length is the most important thing with big fish. Volume is important when it comes to cleaning. Big fish = lots of, well fish poop. Big fish with less volume equals more water changes. So to balance the fish with cleaning 75g would be a minimum. You could keep a RD in a 55g for a year as long as you have bigger tank plans in the future. However, an RD would LOVE a 6ft (125g) long tank.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just to clear this up. I have had a female Midas in a 55g for two years now and she reached 10" in the first year.

That said it would be much easier to do tank maintenance if I had the 75g. I have to work much harder to ensure the water is kept clean.

Next time I'll do a 75g for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts