Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right well last night when i got in from work i discovered that my female HRP convict had made a bid for freedom by jumping out the tank. Obviously having lay on the sitting room floor all day she was a goner. This little tragedy has prompted me to assess both tanks and my current stock.

The 20G convict tank currently has 1 male con and 5 glowlight tetras. I'm thinking of taking him back to the LFS as it will be pretty hard to find him a mate now due to his size and very aggresive nature.

The 55G SA tank currently houses my 3 scalare angels, 2 of which are a pair in the making (papillia are out but no eggs yet) and the third a little black runt. In addition to the angels are 6 2"-2.5" Keyhole cichlids, these are now sexually mature and i think there may be a pair in the making with these to as there is a lot of displaying, body twitching and gill flaring.

I was thinking of taking the 2 good angels out of the 55G and putting them in the 20G with the glowlight tetras, hopefully this will bring on a spawning! Once *** done this i will examine the Keyholes and select two that look like a pair and then remove the rest back to the LFS.

this will leave a single runty angel, a pair of Keyholes, 2 bristlenose and a monster 4" botia (i cant get rid of him as the GF loves him) in the 55G. i want another pair of cichlids that will live in harmony (well as harmonious as you can get with cichlids!) with the keyholes, what does everyone suggest? my water is neutral with moderate hardness.

sorry for the huge post, i just wanted everyone to understand the situation.

·
Registered
697 Posts
20 gallon tall or long? Either way 20 gallon tanks are a bit too small for angels. I had a pair in a 20 gallon tall for a bit and they did spawn, but they always felt cramped and ended up eating their eggs. I now have another pair in a 29 gallon which seems just right. 20 gallon long tanks are too shallow for the angels tall body, but it may work with little or no substrate, but still not ideal. I would rather see the keyholes in the 20 and the angels in the 55.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts