Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving and am not able to move my 125 gallon aquarium. I can take all my others but where I am going I will not be able to have a tank this size. I put the tank with all equipment and fish on Craigslist for a super deal. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/pet/2161884144.html
I have had several hits on it but the problem is no one wants the fish! So what to do with them? I do not know how to ship fish of this size, most are in the 4-5 inch range or more. My LFS says he may need 2 weeks notice to take this many adult mbuna. I have a 500 gallon hot tub? My problem there is #1 residual chlorine #2 no bio media. Looking at the ad, do you think there would be enough porous decor to house enough good bacteria to not cause a massive spike if I put them in the hot tub? I have other tanks I could seed the hot tub filter with squeezings from the other filters but I always worry that this leads to the addition of more waste than anything. Help, what do I do.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I take it you do not have two weeks?

What about clubs in your area?

Residual chlorine could be handled by dechlor. What filter will you use on the hot tub?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one small canister filter that I could fill with media from other tanks but I was going to rely on the hot tubs filter for circulation. I was going to dump all of the 125 gallon's decor in which is at least but most likely more than 50lbs of crushed lava and 75lbs of boulder lava rock. The hot tub idea would be used to hold the fish in until the LFS was ready for them. I have someone who wanted the rest of the set up yesterday. Basically, I do not want to loose the opportunity to sell the setup but I also do not want to just kill the fish. I do not know of any fish clubs in my area.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
ladybugzcrunch said:
I have one small canister filter that I could fill with media from other tanks.
That could work. What is the length of the hot tub? You've got an aggressive mix. I have no knowledge of hot tub filters so maybe someone else will chime in. I'm picturing the fish in a bubbling whirlpool. :lol:

Fish price might be too high for a group sale...I would have looked for something more like $5 per fish. You could get $10 each from LFS or selling each species individually maybe.

Price of tank/stand is good though. Best of luck with your move!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a big hot tub like 6x3x5 or something. Way bigger than the tank they are in. My price is around $4 per fish which I thought was a steal since most are worth way more than that. Some are 5" adults :) My aquabid sale ends in 2 hours, I have them listed there for $100.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:( :( :( My 125 gallon aquarium and all of my beautiful fish left today in a Honda Element. It was for the best and I hope he takes care of them. I held each one before bagging them. Many were over 5 inches long and very heavy. I took very good care of them, bye Malawi.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ladybugzcrunch said:
:( :( :( My 125 gallon aquarium and all of my beautiful fish left today in a Honda Element. It was for the best and I hope he takes care of them. I held each one before bagging them. Many were over 5 inches long and very heavy. I took very good care of them, bye Malawi.
That's the bad news. :(

The good news is, now you can start fresh with a bigger tank :D All the fun is in the tank setup, planning the stocking, aquiring them and watching them grow after you've added them to the tank and your finally "finished" with the process. Then, you have something beautiful and amazing, but have lost the drive you had when you were planning and building. The best is yet to come. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts