Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the crummy pictures. It's 2.5" and has barely any colour. It was sold to me as a male but I am fairly certain its female. Was I bamboozled?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My "Super" red empress didn't color up until about 3.5" so I think you have some time before you see it. Give it another month or two and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah 2.5in is too small to have any colour yet, i have a male red empress that is about 4in and doesent have any colour on it at all

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The fins could still grow out. I've had fish I thought were females due to a number of reasons and before I knew it they had colors and pointy fins. I've had fish color up at or less than 2.5", but the empresses I have had seemed to get a little bigger before they showed much color. However, the males always had a nice red anal fin much earlier on, even at less than 2.5".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I breed empress all the time, and I routinely see vividly colored males at 2" and up. You'd be amazed. I don't know if feeding a steady diet of NLS Grow from day one has anything to do with it.

~matt~ said:
yeah 2.5in is too small to have any colour yet, i have a male red empress that is about 4in and doesent have any colour on it at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to add that within a week this fish when from grey to a fully colored male. To me this is incredible. I was convinced it was female.

·
Registered
623 Posts
LeeD said:
I would like to add that within a week this fish when from grey to a fully colored male. To me this is incredible. I was convinced it was female.
Any pictures? I have Firebird haps, which are pretty much a color morph of red empress, juvis look the exact same. Bought them almost 2 weeks ago they are about 2.5 inches, noticed the other day ones showing clear male coloration already. It can happen anytime and very quickly. Around 2 months ago my Taiwan Reef colored from silver female appearance to full colored male within a few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts