Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I set up a 65 gallon custom built tank 2 weeks ago now, and am starting to thing about stocking (don't worry, I intend to leave it at least a couple more weeks to get the water and filter nicely conditioned etc).

My current plan is to stock the following:

Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12
Telmatochromis vittatus â€" 2
Neolamprologus leleupi â€" 2
Julidochromis ornatus â€" 2
Synodontis multipunctatus - 3

What would be a sensible order in which to add the fish? Obviously I want to do it over a period of time in order to get the filter up to speed, but I want to do it quickly enough that there are as few territory problems as possible.

What do people think?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,482 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
every time I see leleupi mixing with other rocks dwellers, I always try to recommand not to have them there. They are just so troublesome. Most of the time, they will roam and be aggressive towards everyone rather they are shellies, rock dwellers, open water...

I really don't think there is an order to add to reduce the aggression of these leleupi fish.

Juli. will stay in their own little place. I don't know much about the vittatus to coment on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charles said:
every time I see leleupi mixing with other rocks dwellers, I always try to recommand not to have them there. They are just so troublesome. Most of the time, they will roam and be aggressive towards everyone rather they are shellies, rock dwellers, open water...

I really don't think there is an order to add to reduce the aggression of these leleupi fish.

Juli. will stay in their own little place. I don't know much about the vittatus to coment on them.
Interesting, what would you recommend instead?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
size of your tank really limits you.

are you interested in just keeping fish or you like to see spawning?

if fish only, you can keep 1 single per types
calvus, julie, shellie (a pair), a paracyps., 1 birchardi, ectodus, etc... I still would skip the leleupi.

if spawning, I think you will max out with 2 types of fish... choose 2 that won't share spawning ground. For example:
Paracyps. + shellies
Julie + shellies
Paracyps. + ectodus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charles said:
size of your tank really limits you.

are you interested in just keeping fish or you like to see spawning?

if fish only, you can keep 1 single per types
calvus, julie, shellie (a pair), a paracyps., 1 birchardi, ectodus, etc... I still would skip the leleupi.

if spawning, I think you will max out with 2 types of fish... choose 2 that won't share spawning ground. For example:
Paracyps. + shellies
Julie + shellies
Paracyps. + ectodus
I would like to see spawning if possible..

So what would you say the maximum number of fish that I could support? Looking at the cookie cutter for 55g (which is obviously slightly smaller than my tank), it looks like 16 or so fish, eg:

Cyprichromis leptosoma x 12
Telmatochromis vittatus x 2 (Shell dwellers?)
Julidochromis ornatus x 2

I would really like at least 2 synodontis multipunctatus in the tank as well, would reducing the number of Cyps allow me to do this? For example:

Cyprichromis leptosoma x 5
Telmatochromis vittatus x 2
Julidochromis ornatus x 2
Synodontis multipunctatus - 2

Would this work, or is it too many fish?

Thanks!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,482 Posts
sam_d, dimensions are more important than gallons. Because your tank is 36" long rather than 48" long like a 55G, Charles is recommending 2 species only and no cyps at all.

I have a 36" tank as well, I'm keeping Calvus and Caudopunctatus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
sam_d, dimensions are more important than gallons. Because your tank is 36" long rather than 48" long like a 55G, Charles is recommending 2 species only and no cyps at all.

I have a 36" tank as well, I'm keeping Calvus and Caudopunctatus.
Ah thanks for that :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJRansome said:
sam_d, dimensions are more important than gallons. Because your tank is 36" long rather than 48" long like a 55G, Charles is recommending 2 species only and no cyps at all.

I have a 36" tank as well, I'm keeping Calvus and Caudopunctatus.
Do you think I could still get away with a couple of Synodontis as well as 2 species (likely Julies and Telmatochromis)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
sam_d said:
DJRansome said:
sam_d, dimensions are more important than gallons. Because your tank is 36" long rather than 48" long like a 55G, Charles is recommending 2 species only and no cyps at all.

I have a 36" tank as well, I'm keeping Calvus and Caudopunctatus.
Do you think I could still get away with a couple of Synodontis as well as 2 species (likely Julies and Telmatochromis)
I wouldn't really recommend keeping fewer than 5 of the schooling Synodontis cats (i.e. multipunctatus) in a single aquarium. The Syno's will likely eat all the julie eggs, but the tight entrance of the shell may be able to keep them away from the Telmat spawn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darkside said:
sam_d said:
DJRansome said:
sam_d, dimensions are more important than gallons. Because your tank is 36" long rather than 48" long like a 55G, Charles is recommending 2 species only and no cyps at all.

I have a 36" tank as well, I'm keeping Calvus and Caudopunctatus.
Do you think I could still get away with a couple of Synodontis as well as 2 species (likely Julies and Telmatochromis)
I wouldn't really recommend keeping fewer than 5 of the schooling Synodontis cats (i.e. multipunctatus) in a single aquarium. The Syno's will likely eat all the julie eggs, but the tight entrance of the shell may be able to keep them away from the Telmat spawn.
Thanks for all of the info guys! I have some nice shells so hopefully the Telmats will still be able to spawn with some success. We'll see what happens re: the synodontis and the julies and remove them if it becomes too bad.

So final tank inhabitants will be:

Telmatochromis vittatus x 2
Julidochromis ornatus x 2
Synodontis multipunctatus - 2/3

I shall get my LFS to get everything in in a couple of weeks - it's all very exciting :fish:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top