Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gall African Malawi tank, they are younf about 1 inch or less since I just set things up. I have only been feeding them pellets. Can someone recommend what would be the best vegetation that I may be able to supplement with the pellets?

Should I encourage algae growth? If so, how much?
thank you

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
They will love a coating of algea on the rocks to nibble on! You can give them spirulina flake and blanched veggies in addition to quality pellet food. I give mine spinach and zuchinni regularly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should I blanch all the vegetables? how small are the pieces of zucchini & spinach?
Have you tried other veggies they like?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ultimately, it's up to you, but IMO, feeding the blanched vegetables really is not necessary, nor worth the effort. If they don't get devoured, you will need to remove them to keep them from rotting in the water. A good quality pellet like NLS or Dainichi, along with some spirulina flake, has all the veggie matter they need. Plus like brinkles said, they will graze on any algae that grows on the rocks. Mine go nuts when I scrape some off the glass, darting out to get a quick nibble on any that floats away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help on the feeding points.
Should I let algae grow to lush growth? Or should I clean it off the items in the tank?
I just don't know if too much growth is (too much!) I dont mind if it is beneficial to them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you can get it to grow lightly on just the rocks the rocks you'd be fine. I wouldn't try to grow it lush, (if there is such a thing as lush algae :wink: ) or it may try to take over the tank. It's a fine balance between lighting intensity and time. If you get too much, then decrease the amount of time the lights are on. A tank near a window with a lot of sun will get more as well. Over time, you will get some growth on the rocks and the fish will graze on them. I would just stick to normal feeding and let the tank work itself out instead of trying to force it to do something you may wind up battling against later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DrgRcr
Point well taken -

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You're welcome, and good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I give mine seaweed once a week...the kind you use to make sushi. Mbuna LOVE IT! I put it in a veggie clip and they graze on it all day long. Have not had any problems with polluting the tank, as they eat it all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will consider that when they get bigger danatwh. As long as not too much is provided I am sure it would not pollute the tank. Like anything, too much is never good.
I have a 75 gal with only (11 Malawi's) 1 " to 1 1/2 " starters, so I have time before they get bigger

thank you

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do put a single 4" x 4" sheet in and they eat most of it in the first hour. Those fish are all 3 inches plus. I haven't tried seaweed with anything under 2" yet.

You can try cucumber too. I made a salad for lunch and stuck a piece of cucumber sliced lengthwise into my fry tank and they are happily picking away at it now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will also give that a try. That seems to be very long piece.
Do you attach that to a feeding clip? I have to get me one or two.
My son also has a tank with Africans which are around your size fish. I will share this with him.

thanks to all for the suggestions, as I am pretty new to this species of fish

·
Registered
365 Posts
I crush frozen peas out of their "shells" they go crazy for it, I have a range of fish that go from 1.5" to 4" they all like peas, since I squeeze them out of theshells there is small pieces for the smaler fish :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, I use a vegetable clip. I usually put pieces that are 4 - 6" long so everybody can graze simultaneously. I find with the mature fish though, you need to put 2 - 4 pieces in a tank and spread them out because the dominant fish will often hoard one and not let anyone else have any.

I remove anything not consumed within 8 - 10 hours or when I notice they have lost interest, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I feed all types of veggies and fruit. Mine love watermelon, grapes, blue berries, raspberries, romaine lettuce and shelled pees. The plecos love zucchini

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All good suggestions, I know alot of the pellets are nutritious enough, but wanted to supplement real vegetation also for the fiber nutritien & to gove them something different once in a while.

As my Africans range only 1" to 1 1/2" I assume they are too young for veggies & fruit right n ow. But I will start them slowly as they get bigger.

thanks all

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put my vegetables on a sushi stick and place it firmly in the sand. You can purchase the sticks from a dollar store 50/$1 instead of $12 - $15 dollars for a vegetable clip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
just a quick couple of pics of mine eating lettuce tonight.

sorry about the picture quality, taken from my phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
good suggestions, thanks TailorJay.
I like your Venustus Dark S Side. How old are they?

My son and I have mixed Malwai tanks - all still fairly young, so not sure who will be compatible as they get older.
I am going to have to post what I have & ask for ID on maybe 2 others, so I can get some feedback.
Thank you all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts