Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What media are people Running in there sumps
Pros and cons
Am thinking k1 and bio ball or blocks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use all kinds of things as biological media in a sump. I've personally run everything in sumps from bio-balls,. Seachem 'Matrix Rock', to this stuff,

Called in the U.S. plant and landscape nursery trade, 'Permatil', it's a fractionated-porous (crushed-superheated) slate rock that was cheap ($8 for a 50 pound bag) and worked very well as wet-dry (trickling) biological media, in a 10 gallon aquarium sump I DIY-built. A fluidized media type sump with the K1 media you mention above is something I haven't tried (yet), but sounds very promising.
Do you rate matrix rock how to you store it in the sump in bags or basket or loose

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will look at the lava rock also want easy maintenance sump easy to clean nothing to complicated
Think of running my uv in the sump also

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmmmmm.......

A great idea! Sumps are a good place for running all sorts of equipment and technical things down in them, that you would prefer to keep hidden from, 'The Main Event'.
For your UV sterilizer, those things seem to work/kill best when the water current supplied to them is basically - slow and easy. I would definitely rig your sterilizer up with a small-sized/low GPH submersible pump set up in re-circulation mode, down in the sump.
I will have my ivy running off manifold in my sump what sort of turn over threw the uv is recommended in freshwater water set up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2-4 times turn over a hour for freshwater
I used it at 1-2 times turn over on the reef set up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have everything from the most expensive media to pot scrubbers. IME pot scrubbers are just as good. The ones that cost a dollar for three, bright colors and look like a ball of little plastic springs.

You just need a lot of surface. And honestly, I think most of us have WAY more surface than the beneficial organisms need already in our tanks.
Ye what is your favourite media tho DJ if you could only have one

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would buy the cheapest rings or bio balls I could find. I would use them with pot scrubbers. The pot scrubbers alone do not slow the flow of water at all, and I do think some blockage of the flow is good. And I would use foam as well to further slow the water and remove particulates.
Will definitely be looking into the pot scrubbers more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts