Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I'm new to Cichlids (a few months) and I'm realizing that I need to let some (if not all) of my Mbunas go if I want to start stocking Peacocks. I've already found new homes for my Rusty and Demisoni, but I still have 4 left and I really don't want to part with them. I only have 1 peacock now, but I'm going to get 4-5 more so they are more prevalent in the tank.

-The 4 mbuna's I have left are 1 ea. yellow lab,snow white scodolfi, Mel. Expasterus 'blue', and a yellowtail acei. Are there any right off the bat that wont work for sure? All are very docile. Would out numbering the Mbunas I have with Peacocks help?

-I also have 4 Lake Tanganyikans. (3 Neo's and 1 Calvus). These guys will be fine, right?

-What I'm concerned about is the Peacocks developing their colors. Would 2 Mbuna's still prohibit them from coloring properly? Would the Lake Tan. allow them to Color?

-And last (thanks for being patient!) I am concerned about feeding them. I know Peacocks need protein and I don't want the Mbunas to get bloat. The ones I have are pretty strong (unlike Troph.), so should I feed them first with Spirulina, and then feed the rest protein after the Mbunas are full?

I know there aren't black and white answers to this. Some mix successfully and others don't. I think the Mbunas I have are probably the most calm I've seen (as juveniles at least). I'm pretty much mostly concerned about the Peacocks coloring, and also everyone getting the nutrition they need. If anyone can give me some advise, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have a 55 gal now, and once they get to be around 3-3.5" I'm going to upgrade to a 125 gal and let them fully mature. I'm sure I'll have to get a few more so that it's 'appropriately' over-crowded, unless there's absolutely no aggression. The Neo's I have are 1 daffodil, 1 Caduopunctatus (my fav) and a Tretocephalus. I think I may need to find a new home for the Tretocephalus though- he may get too big.

Thanks for responding- this is my first post :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh- the dimensions are about 14" deep, 20" tall, and 4 or so feet long. Whatever works out to be that somewhat standard 55 gal size.

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
If you already have 8 single males in a 55G I'd say you are stocked. I've tried the calvus-tret-hap-peacock combination and the Tangs remained healthy but looked really unhappy, lost color and lurked in one spot so I removed them.

If you want peacocks I'd remove the socolofi and Melanochromis as a minimum and then you could add two peacocks. You might find you later also want to remove the Tangs as I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts