Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a hard time searching for info on this, im sure a thread is out there somewhere.

There are a few options for tanks, glass, acrylic, plexiglass, etc.

What is the most solid tank in terms of breaking??

It sometimes bothers me not knowing how sturdy my used 46 bowfront is. After an earthquake last night it was creaking and it made terrified to tthink what might happen should it break.

so a few other questions too.

1) are bowfronts more susceptible to stress on the tank?

2) what material is best for paranoid freaks like myself?

3) what are some ways to ensure the tank is stable on carpet? i did not realize the hazards of this when i set the tank up last year and im worried about it now. i do not visually see any sagging on my tank. any advice here is also appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nixxed77 said:
From what i have heard and read acrylic tanks are un-breakable.
They aren't unbreakable but they can still crack/shatter. It isn't as catastrophic as a glass tank breaking nor do they break as easily as glass.

Anyway, I have no idea if bow front tanks are more susceptible break or not but I doubt it. Just because you buy a used tank doesn't mean it is going to shatter. I saw your post in that tank busted thread. You just need to relax.

When you live in areas that have earthquakes you can screw I-hooks into the 2x4 studs in the wall behind the tank and connect cable or something else to the tank to keep it from falling forward. You can do that with the stand but make it more permanent by bolting the tank to the wall with metal threaded bar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I vote for a full plywood tank being shatter proof :D

You might not be able to see the fish very well, and it could always split a corner, but i challenge you to shatter it.

seriously though, if your worried about it buy a quality made acrylic tank and unless your drunken friends get out of control you should be fine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will definately go with acrylic tank for sure then.

that earthquake scared the sh1t out of me though, the tank was making creaking noises and the fish seemed to notice too and were darting around. i was pretty scared it would collapse or something.

im concerned abuot the bowfront beause at the front seams the glass seems to be welded together weakly.

i am definately a little paranoid though, for sure. i just want to be totally sure about these things when i get a big 150 gallon tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts