Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just got my 30 gallon tall all fixed up, is there any type of SA Cichlid I can have in it, the dimensions are 12 inches wide, 24 tall and long. Just curious, I know if there is a chance, it would have to be kept pristine, lots of water changes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I vote for apistos or keyholes, I'm sure the rest will vote for rams because that's the cool thing to do right now.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have very similar sized tank, 24"x15"24". I started off with a pair of keyholes, but ended up moving them as I felt the tank was to small length wise once they matured.

I currently have a pair of semi adult Laetacara dorsigerus and a male checkerboard cichlid in it. I think I would feel the same with the Laetacara as I did with the keyholes, in that once they mature the tank would seem a litle to cramped.

However I feel the checkerboard cichlid (Dicrossus filamentosus), or a smaller apistogramma species, would suite these dimension. Also becuase of the extra volume, you can add a few dithers. Dwarf corydoras, otocinclus, tetras and marbled hatchetfish*, possibly even cherry shrimp with the smaller cichlids like apistos and checkerboards.

*They grow much smaller than silver or spotted hatchetfish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts