Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i want a small rock pile for when the mom spits for the babies to hide.... what type and size rocks work best? thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've got some river rock piles in my tanks that fry hide out in, but it wasn't intentional. :roll:

Basically, what you're looking for is something that you can stack to make small enough holes for fry to get into, but also small enough to discourage adults from coming in.

Kim

·
Registered
842 Posts
I use Mexican beach pebbles, dark greyish, small really round and they form nice crevices for the little guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have yellow labs that keep spitting out fry and i have rocks in my tank maybe twice the size of your fist built up to form caves. The fry just seem to know where to hide and keep undercover until they grow big enough to venture out on there own. Hope i could help!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a couple of small piles but recently i've noticed that my electric blue can really move some sediment around and he's actually just about covered one of them to the point where he's forced a couple of small red zebra fry to find alternate hiding :-? ... is this intentional? Just wondering if anyone has had that happen before :?

thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm. interesting!

i do need to get more rocks for my main pile... perhaps i shall start with that first and see how it goes :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.