Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I thought I had kenyis in my tank, but since the fry don't resemble the parents at all I'm starting to think I might just have cichlids that resemble kenyis.

Here is a picture of the parents with the fry: http://i.imgur.com/ofoO2.jpg

Please let me know what you think I have and how I can best take care of the fry. They are in a 75 gallon with lots of rock and only 7 fish now plus a few hundred fry.

I don't think there kenyis because in another post someone mentioned that kenyis usually only have about 30 fry and they resemble the parents right away. Well these don't resemble the parents at all and I might be off, but It looked like there may have been 300-400 of the fry on day one, but i think half must have died or gotten eaten.

The parents are doing a pretty good job taking care of them there are about 100-200 left I would guess now.

Again here the picture: http://i.imgur.com/ofoO2.jpg

Let me know what you think

Also I forgot to add they are now 4-5 days old

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had convicts about 30 years ago and those look like two male convicts to me. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Missed the fry in that picture, you have a convict couple. Convicts have to be the easiest cichlids to spawn. :oops:

·
Registered
35 Posts
looks like cons to me. but where's the female?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would say the female is the one facing away in this pic, unless you have multiple pairs in your tank. But the mated pair shouldn't let another con that close to the hatch. The copper belly isn't as easy to see in the pic.

I have six cons right now--and that's what you've got. They're a SA cichlid. Cons breed quickly and often--can get rather feisty/vicious during these cycles. Each of my pairs will breed once a month. They'll start with around 80 fry, but pair them down (Mom eats them) to a dozen approx. Think about what to do with the fry--they're hard to get rid of/sell because they're so common.

Kenyi female are light-bodied with dark blue stripes (fewer stripes that cons I believe). Males will be yellow.

Cons are black and grey--females will get a rainbow coloring on fins (copper belly) and males are mostly blue/purple/teal coloring on fins. They should be in "guard" coloring right now, or battle armor, as I call it--a stark white/black (esp female).

Good luck :thumb: If your cons are anything like mine, once they pair down fry, the parents start blaming each other for the missing fry (though I'm pretty sure Dad helps Mom eat them), you'll want to remove the fry or else you'll end up with a beat to **** pair of cons :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts