Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought as South American Cichlids and now they have really got darker as they grew.. I cant find anywhere that has a good picture for me to identify.. Pics are 2 different fish that have similar characteristics and both have got darker with blue dots..

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Photo with "fish 2" underneath has two Jack Dempseys (one in dark phase, one in light) and a female Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

Photo with "fish 1" underneath is a young Flowerhorn.

No compatibility with any two of those fish. The Flowerhorn will bring Death and Destruction. (Sorry, I've been watching dramatic science fiction today.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info. I have 45gallon tank that will be perfect for these

·
Registered
937 Posts
Toren23 said:
Thanks for info. I have 45gallon tank that will be perfect for these
Not even close. The Flowerhorn at maturity will require at least a 75. The Dempseys will need a 4 foot long tank. The ram is as good as dead with either of the other two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that is what i have for now guess thats a reason to get a bigger tank. Lol. Btw i took these in an emergency situation so i didnt have time to research but im on it now. But i am a fish lover and i will make it right for them. So blue rams in 45 and what would u recommend for the other ones. I have 75gallon that ther in and 45g thats cycled and ready and have a 125g that i could get soon but will take time to cycle. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
You could try for a pair of Jack Dempseys, but you would have to get lucky to have 2 pair off, maybe get 2 more to get a pair. They are very good parents and are very fascinating to watch them take care of their brood. You might be able to keep in a 3 foot long tank for awhile. But then you have the problem of having hundreds of fry which you can't care for or even give all away, just too many babies.

The Ram is more for a mild community tank. The Flowerhorn hybrid can be a huge monster. You should read up on whether you really want one. Personally I don't "get" the Flowerhorn trend. Rather just get an Oscar. Or a real Texas type. Or a Jack Dempsey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts