Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me identify this new addition to my tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found the answer to my question. I think it is a
Lepidiolamprologus nkambae

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Well, it's clearly not that. For one thing, it has an egg spot on it's anal fin....so it could not possibly be a lake Tanganyika Lamprologine ( as well as many, many other traits that would not fit at all).
It is most definitely lake Malawi mbuna.
It looks very much like auratus. Marking and vertical striping are a match. Coloration not so typical but could be something like a female in transition to male coloration. Though really, it would be odd enough looking for an auratus that the likely conclusion is that it is probably hybrid Melanochromis .

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
BC in SK said:
Well, it's clearly not that. For one thing, it has an egg spot on it's anal fin....so it could not possibly be a lake Tanganyika Lamprologine ( as well as many, many other traits that would not fit at all).
It is most definitely lake Malawi mbuna.
It looks very much like auratus. Marking and vertical striping are a match. Coloration not so typical but could be something like a female in transition to male coloration. Though really, it would be odd enough looking for an auratus that the likely conclusion is that it is probably hybrid Melanochromis .
I think you meant horizontal striping but yes I agree that it looks to be a hybrid melanochromis type.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Yeah, definitely similar to Melanochromis auratus. A better pic might help decide the exact ID, as well does the fish get lighter or darker? Which colors was the fish when you got it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally was able to take some more pictures of this mystery fish. Can anyone identify ? I am posting 5 pics . Here is 1 of 5

upload1.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally was able to take some more pictures of this mystery fish. Can anyone identify ? I am posting 5 pics . Here is 2 of 5

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally was able to take some more pictures of this mystery fish. Can anyone identify ? I am posting 5 pics . Here is 3 of 5

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally was able to take some more pictures of this mystery fish. Can anyone identify ? I am posting 5 pics . Here is 4 of 5

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally was able to take some more pictures of this mystery fish. Can anyone identify ? I am posting 5 pics . Here is 5 of 5

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts