Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's a tanganyikan, looks like Neolamprologus tetracanthus. Meaner than heck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chromedome52 said:
thats exactly what that is. We don't have any problems with them in with haps and peacocks

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
rkeiger said:
Chromedome52 said:
thats exactly what that is. We don't have any problems with them in with haps and peacocks
As a SINGLE fish, they are hit and miss. Most of the time, they are ok, but there are the odd aggressors. If you end up with a pair though, they are mean as heck, and will attempt to clear all fish out of at least a 3ft cubed area, and are capable of killing if necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is a silly fish. Whenever I come close he comes to the glass and paces and then when I put my hand in I can touch him and rub his side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So give me soem basic lehmans terms of one fish he might get along with. Or ,should I just get him a girlfriend of the same size and hope they do not kill each other?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
usmgp24 said:
So give me soem basic lehmans terms of one fish he might get along with. Or ,should I just get him a girlfriend of the same size and hope they do not kill each other?
What is the size of the tank you are keeping it in, both in volume and dimensions.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
With a tank that size, you have a number of options. You certainly could purchase 3 more tetracanthus, to obtain a pair, if you would like to see the breeding behaviour and raise a few hundred thousand babies. Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but they do have large broods.

If that doesn't interest you, just a mix of Malawi mbuna, avoiding the more aggressive ones would probably do as well. (avoid Melanochromis types, kenyi (Metriaclima lombardoi), bumblebees( Ps. crabro).)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since he has been brought up alone and in his own tank . IS it safe to introduce another fish of his type to his "domain"?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
usmgp24 said:
Since he has been brought up alone and in his own tank . IS it safe to introduce another fish of his type to his "domain"?
I would segregate this fish... what makes you think it is a male? Allow the others to get comfortable, and then add it back. The more fish you get, the better the probability for success in pairing, and the more it spreads around aggression. Also, you should have a huge amount of cover, for the fish to escape when the aggression starts.

I might also recommend getting some cheaper dither fish to distract them... Giant Danios or cheap Australian Rainbows for example.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I know that the Northern locations have the red tip to the fins, and the southern the yellow tip. I've never heard of that just being males, but then never paid attention either.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I had a single one of these once when I first started out on the hobby. Soon after I thought I'd give my Tetracanthus some company and I purchased what was sold to me as a "Daffodil" Brichardi...

Anyway, it was not A "Daffodil" it was N. Helianthus! (The Satan of the brichardi Group!). Anyway my T-canthus was about 5 inches and robust and within 24 hours he was dead and finless.

You might try some Calvus with him as a loner, they should basically ignore each other and Calvus will defend themselves without hurting him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts