Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75gal tank with a pair of young Jewels and 3 small yellow labs.

I plan to get four more young jewels soon. I'm hoping to have one or two pairs eventually. Then the remainder of the Jewels will be rehomed.

I may not keep the labs depending on how things go when the Jewels pair up. For now they and the Jewels act like buddies.

I have some Malaysian trumpet snails and ghost shrimp to help keep the gravel clean. The ghost shrimp will get eaten and replaced from time to time.

I'm thinking of adding some catfish too. What kind(s) - and how many - will do well with the Jewels? I don't want them to get eaten or eat the eventual eggs.

Not sure if substrate matters to the cats, but I have river gravel for now. I may replace it with pool filter sand. I also have a bunch of TX holey rock to provide cover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had personal success with bristlenose catfish with my jewels. they did a very good job of cleaning and didn't eat the eggs. i have never kept any on sand, all have been on river rock. the bristlenose also love true caves (ie anything that has two sides, a top and the back covered)

·
Registered
72 Posts
they are a pleco still..... so they do poop a good amount, but they only get a few inches so it's not as bad as a common pleco.
are you looking for someone to clean the algae? if so a Siamese algae eater is great at it and poops a normal fish amount.

i was breeding the bristlenose plecos for a while and i used a eheim quick vac every other day or so. it is the best thing i have ever bought for my tanks. it's like a underwater dust buster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank has only had fish in it a couple of weeks and it gets zero sunlight. So far I can't see any algae. I want something to help cleanup extra food. Maybe the snails and shrimp will be sufficient.

I have some java moss so hopefully it will help to take up the nutrients that promotes algae growth. So far the fish ignore it so maybe it won't all get eaten.

I might try a bristle nose eventually if algae gets to be a problem. It's a large tank and if it's a single smaller pleco then maybe the poop won't be a big problem. I don't really like the way the other algae eaters look.

·
Registered
72 Posts
jfox said:
I don't really like the way the other algae eaters look.
:lol: have you seen the bristlenose? i personally like them, but most people i talk with don't find them very attractive at all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts