Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple yellow tail Acei juvies in my tank, and my friend decided to bring over the three out of her tank since they are going to be way to big for her 55. She put them in my tank, and they don't look like my Acei. The body shape is similar (most juvie cichlids look the same...), but the little yellow on their fins faded to nothing. Mine were almost purple with bright yellow fins, and these guys are now a gray-muddy juvenile color, with yellow fins on the bottom.

Any ideas? Verticle bars when they get all flared up. She got them from the one good pet shop in the area. He's got a tank of mixed cichlids and has them listed by breed, and seems to know which ones are which, but he thinks these were a trade in, so he guessed at their breed...

I know the pet shop she got them from, he's got a great reputation for clean tanks, and she's had these fish by themselves for about 3 weeks without any problems, so I wasn't worried about putting them straight in my tank, they've essentially been in QT in her tank, anyways.

Any clue as to what they are? I can try to get a few pictures tonight.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Did you see them before you got them? They could simply still be stressed from the move and aren't showing their normal colors yet. Time will tell, so will pics ;) Could be their a mixed breed also.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw them in her tank and they were a grayish - purple, with a touch of yellow on their bottom fin and tail fin. I'll attempt to get pics tonight.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yup, need pics :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pics

In these next two pics, two of them in each of the pics (3 fish all together).

With one of the Acei - you can see the difference in color

They are really starting to get some bars. When she brought them over, they were almost all silver. Now, especially at feed time, they bar up. See the yellow on their fins, tho? I have no idea what they are...[/img]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've had a sub-dom male ice blue zebra look similar, but man, those are really pale.

The shape is more Acei like though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are starting to show some more baring and the yellow on their fins is becoming darker. Not as dark as the Acei, tho. My acei are purple with dark yellow fins.
The baring isn't all the way down their body, tho, making me wonder if they are some type of elongatus...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Those look like a sub-dominant (or not colored up) Ice Blue Zebra (top dorsal is orange/red)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, that's a possibility. Guess I'm gonna have to wait til they start to color up...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here's a male ice blue that isn't colored up all the way:

I guess they could be a hybrid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.