Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any substrate in the tank? Did you rinse the tank out with water or at least some wet paper towels to remove any fine dirt/debris that may have been in the tank before filling it with water?
My substrate is Caribsea aragallive pink Fiji I didn’t wash it
And I’ll almost sure there wasn’t any debris in the tank

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you setting up a saltwater tank or African cichlid tank?

CaribSea's website under FAQ recommends if using for an African cichlid tank, you should pour off the liquid first but gives no explanation on why. It may have something to do with the different bacteria types between a saltwater and freshwater tank that are in the liquid of the bag.

Also since the product is aragonite it is higher in calcium and carbonate which tends to turn the water milky in appearance.

You can try laying a paper towel on the water surface to catch the particles so you can remove them or just increase the surface agitation so they get mixed up in the water column and can then be caught in your filter media.

I have never used this product so maybe @sir_keith can offer some advice or a member that keeps saltwater or have used this product will comment.
I am using this for an African cichlid tank the guy before me used it for a salt water tank but I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the substrate also I have a wave maker in this tank that pulls sand from the other side of the 6 foot tank so I have plenty of surface agitation. I’ll try the paper towel trick because I don’t think it’s accumulating and figured my filter would end up catching it all. Thanks for the advice Deeda

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may just be the fine particles of the sand that are more dust like or it could be fine particles that haven't gotten weighted down by the water yet.

Is the film oily and slick or just fine particles or can't you tell exactly?
It isn’t oily I’d say it’s just fine particles I’ll let you know if it reappears it seemed I got 90% of it out if it reappears I will be worried thanks for your advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts