Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
Do you have any substrate in the tank? Did you rinse the tank out with water or at least some wet paper towels to remove any fine dirt/debris that may have been in the tank before filling it with water?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any substrate in the tank? Did you rinse the tank out with water or at least some wet paper towels to remove any fine dirt/debris that may have been in the tank before filling it with water?
My substrate is Caribsea aragallive pink Fiji I didn’t wash it
And I’ll almost sure there wasn’t any debris in the tank

· Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
Are you setting up a saltwater tank or African cichlid tank?

CaribSea's website under FAQ recommends if using for an African cichlid tank, you should pour off the liquid first but gives no explanation on why. It may have something to do with the different bacteria types between a saltwater and freshwater tank that are in the liquid of the bag.

Also since the product is aragonite it is higher in calcium and carbonate which tends to turn the water milky in appearance.

You can try laying a paper towel on the water surface to catch the particles so you can remove them or just increase the surface agitation so they get mixed up in the water column and can then be caught in your filter media.

I have never used this product so maybe @sir_keith can offer some advice or a member that keeps saltwater or have used this product will comment.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you setting up a saltwater tank or African cichlid tank?

CaribSea's website under FAQ recommends if using for an African cichlid tank, you should pour off the liquid first but gives no explanation on why. It may have something to do with the different bacteria types between a saltwater and freshwater tank that are in the liquid of the bag.

Also since the product is aragonite it is higher in calcium and carbonate which tends to turn the water milky in appearance.

You can try laying a paper towel on the water surface to catch the particles so you can remove them or just increase the surface agitation so they get mixed up in the water column and can then be caught in your filter media.

I have never used this product so maybe @sir_keith can offer some advice or a member that keeps saltwater or have used this product will comment.
I am using this for an African cichlid tank the guy before me used it for a salt water tank but I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the substrate also I have a wave maker in this tank that pulls sand from the other side of the 6 foot tank so I have plenty of surface agitation. I’ll try the paper towel trick because I don’t think it’s accumulating and figured my filter would end up catching it all. Thanks for the advice Deeda

· Super Moderator
8,319 Posts
It may just be the fine particles of the sand that are more dust like or it could be fine particles that haven't gotten weighted down by the water yet.

Is the film oily and slick or just fine particles or can't you tell exactly?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may just be the fine particles of the sand that are more dust like or it could be fine particles that haven't gotten weighted down by the water yet.

Is the film oily and slick or just fine particles or can't you tell exactly?
It isn’t oily I’d say it’s just fine particles I’ll let you know if it reappears it seemed I got 90% of it out if it reappears I will be worried thanks for your advice

· Registered
13 Posts
I've had aquariums for 30+ years and within the past 4-5 years this biofilm has driven me crazy. I haven't changed food or feeding habits. When using a HOB filter or air foam filter, the agitation usually keeps it at bay. However I use canister filters and surface agitation is very minimal. I didn't want to install HOB to combat it. I don't like airstones in my tanks (2-55 gallon CO2 planted in my collection). That only left me one solution, skimmers. I got them all off Amazon for cheap and they work wonders! For my smaller tanks, I installed homemade corner overflow filtration with small return pumps. To install the purchased skimmers, I use the elbow attachment (discard the flexible tube) and send the top of it up the bottom of the filter intake tube. Works perfectly. During feeding, I flip the clear skimmer part upside down to keep from inhaling food from the surface. These things are a life saver, literally, as the surface scum would get really white and thick to the point I was afraid gas exchange was being compromised.

Here's some good bathroom reading (picture three is what my tanks would look like). The surface skimmer is toward the bottom.

· Registered
256 Posts
When using aragonite, as it dissolves (dependent on tap pH) it either precipitates out chemically, making the water milky, or tiny flakes can rise to the top, producing the film you describe.
The film is not unhealthy unless it inhibits gas exchange, which doesn't look like a problem your tank due to the surface agitation.
Over time, both eventually disappear.
I used aragonite in fluidized bed reactors, and had to periodically add more aragonite as it dissolved.
Each time after adding new aragonite my tanks would get milky, and sometimes could form a thin film at the air water interface, but surface skimming to a sump took care of that in my case.
Liquid Water Fluid Gas Solution

The reactor is the 8 inch diameter tube , and you can easily see the milky color in the fry tank behind it.
Water Liquid Fluid Automotive exterior Auto part

In the reactor aragonite was constantly agitated and crashing into itself causing it to flake, and the lighter than water flakes always rose.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Cylinder Rim

I never found it to be problematic, although the milkiness might been-aethsetic to some.

· Registered
269 Posts
Eheim makes a little fresh water skimmer. I had a tank next to a couch and when looking up at it I would always see the surface of the water from the bottom. That little skimmer kept it looking really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts