Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
female Jack Dempsey, about 3 inches

this spot has not changed in two days.

fish is in a 55gal with a male jack dempsey, and a few other fish.

is this HITH?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Could be HITH. Check your Nitrates and do a large water change.

....Bill

·
Registered
308 Posts
Its not common for fish to get it when they are smaller but it could be. Put some melafix in the tank and then do what MonteSS says

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing is that I currently have ich in the tank, my severum has a bunch of white spots...100% positive that it is ich. The female jack dempsey and one of the catfish spend all of their time hiding.

I have been using melafix for 5 days after doing a large water change on Saturday. Had my numbers checked at the fish store that day:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate was about 20 (before another water change of 20%)
p.h. is 7.4. So my water should be OK until I do another large water change on Saturday (i think)

I am using melafix currently because my black shark had fin rot and now it appears to be healing.

the strange thing is that this spot showed up the 2nd or 3rd day into my melafix treatment. I also did not notice the ich until a couple of days after starting melafix.

Is there anything I should do for the ich besides raising the temp and adding salt?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just to get my 2 cents in here. My jack developed a blue spot in the middle of its forhead, and it has never gone away. He was about the size of yours is now, and he is pushing 5 inches now, and he still has this single spot. If you do all this medicating and precautionary steps and the spot never goes away, then its possible its just a spot. But goodluck to you

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Looks like a wound from hitting a rock. My jds get this all the time. CleaN water is a plus. Keep an eye out because of the ick. The wound makes it a good spot for ick to settle in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.