Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I have a 180 gallon African tank with some mbuna, haps and peacocks; it's pretty well stocked and healthy. Today I saw a little stringy, wormy thing swimming in the water! It was about an inch long, white or tan, and not much thicker than a hair, but it was swimming through the water like a mini-snake! I tried to net it, but then lost it b/c it was so small, and then I saw a smaller one that was about a 1/2 inch... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
planaria or nematodes. They're pretty common but do indicate your substrate is harboring too much food and detritus. Vacuum your substrate and feed less- the worm like creatures in our aquariums generally dine on food that gets trapped. A few extra water changes should clear it up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I've been reading, but my tank is cleaned and vacuumed every week and I don't overfeed. My water quality is good and I never have any visible detritus in my tank. I guess it could be a random detritus worm or something?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Well- not sure what a detritus worm is- these creatures generally live a bit higher on the food chain...

Any way about it, the worms are finding enough to eat. Limit their food (feed less, more vacuuming) and they'll go away. Often when you've seen one, that means there are a lot more. But, you asked if this could be random... not exactly, but you may have a small infestation that could be short lived if they don't find enough food to survive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, I have had worms just like that show up before, I figured out my culprit was the water I was putting in. I have rubbermaid bins filled with water that I have heated and sometimes some of the bins wouldn't get used for a week and a half. The heated water in the bin that was not used would get a few of those in it. I have never been sure why, but as long as the water doesn't sit in there they don't appear. Maybe you heat your water up separately in a container similarly ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No... don't do that. I use a Python-like water changer. Haven't seen any since, so maybe they're gone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts