Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accesso ... Z276670135

I have been communicating with the seller and he has asked ne to make a reasonable offer for the tank AND stand which he had custom built for this tank.

What is a 155 bow front worth used? I am not in a rush to upgrade but I like to keep my open for nice tanks that don't result in me spending thousands for the tank and stand only.

Appreciate everyone's input thanks![/i]

·
Registered
623 Posts
i agree, for just the tank/lid/canopy which was leaking i would pay at most $250. With stand and some equipment then maybe its worth the $450. Usually a used tank should be around $1-$1.50 a gallon. Theres better deals especially in toronto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input, obviously it is a little subjective as we have a range from $250-$500 so I will do a little more research and make a judgement call. I am not in an immediate hurry so it may be worthwhile letting this one go (except I have a girlfriend who is in love with the bow front and who am I to say no?!)

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi!

For the $450 asking price, I would expect the stand to be included. Canopy and lid are easily bought or upgraded afterwards. Finding a stand that will fit, look good and hold 1200 pounds of bow front glory (for cheap) may not be that easy.

Considering it is a custom made stand for that tank, why does he not want to sell it as a package? If he simply wants to upgrade to a scratch-free tank, then I'd lowball him on the tank, lids and canopy for $200 and go buy a stand with the savings (or make one/have one made).

Also: why was it resealed if it didn't leak? did it 'almost' leak? :p sounds kinda fishy (pun intended).

(btw: the price ranges posted are based on contents... note that the $250 price tag is without stand, while the $500 tag is with stand. I agree with these estimates)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all,

Based on the above comments I decided to offer 225 for the tank and canopy and 175 for the stand. This gives him a little negotiating room. If he expects more than 500 or so I will be walking away. I am not that motivated of a buyer so if he isn't a motivated seller I guess it isn't happening lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To close this thread the seller was insulted by my offer and encouraged me to send him links to other tanks that had sold at these prices. I know deals like that exist they just don't stick around for long. Will keep my eyes open...in all honesty I would prefer a 220 instead and not bother with a bow front bit it is all a function of what used come available.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Must not want to sell his tank then. If it really was a great deal, someone else would have bought it already. He'll be sitting on it for a while with his attitude. Let it slide and keep on looking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
canlax said:
To close this thread the seller was insulted by my offer and encouraged me to send him links to other tanks that had sold at these prices.
I see tanks of all sizes/shapes come and go regularly for cheap on Craigslist. It's hard to 'send him links to other tanks that had sold at these prices' when the links get removed right after they sell. It's only the unsold stuff that lingers.

Perhaps he's basing his price on the unsold stuff... There's a reason we all seemed to have the same price range: Because it's appropriate for the hardware. This guy wants a near-new price for used gear. He is either gonna sell it to a sucker, be forced to drop the price or keep it outright. Good riddance.

I still wonder why he would reseal a tank that 'didn't leak before'.

:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thats too much, No stand,light or equipment is a deal breaker for me.

keep looking Kijiji does have some awesome deals, I bought

90gallon with stand canopy wood and glass, 2 aquaclear filters plus 10 blue dolphin cichlids for $100. then the following month I picked a 150 gallon, 2 fluval 305's, stand canopy, for $250.

So the deals are there, you just have to be the first guy to see them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
lol ya i was just reading and to think hes not gonna pull the old switchero on ya. o ya i just had all the gaskets redone on the engine. why you ask? just cuz i felt it was time ya know? doesnt sound believable does it :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pork_chop said:
keep looking Kijiji does have some awesome deals, I bought

90gallon with stand canopy wood and glass, 2 aquaclear filters plus 10 blue dolphin cichlids for $100. then the following month I picked a 150 gallon, 2 fluval 305's, stand canopy, for $250.
Those are my kind of deals :drooling: !! I will keep my eye out, there is something so satisfying about paying those kind of prices then seeing 'suckers' buying the same products new at the fish store for so much more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alpha7 said:
canlax said:
To close this thread the seller was insulted by my offer and encouraged me to send him links to other tanks that had sold at these prices.
I see tanks of all sizes/shapes come and go regularly for cheap on Craigslist. It's hard to 'send him links to other tanks that had sold at these prices' when the links get removed right after they sell. It's only the unsold stuff that lingers.

Perhaps he's basing his price on the unsold stuff... There's a reason we all seemed to have the same price range: Because it's appropriate for the hardware. This guy wants a near-new price for used gear. He is either gonna sell it to a sucker, be forced to drop the price or keep it outright. Good riddance.

I still wonder why he would reseal a tank that 'didn't leak before'.

:cool:
You are quite right, excellent logic. I keep my eye open on Kijiji often and it is unreal how many overpriced products are reposted nearly everyday but never seem to sell. These are not accurate representations of what these used items cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts