Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting these for a friend of mine that is trying to figure out for sure what fish he has. He is thinking Labidochromis exasperatus or Labidochromis textillis are these two seperate species?
Here are the pics:

Dad:

The two females:

Fry:

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
"He is thinking Labidochromis exasperatus or Labidochromis textillis are these two seperate species?"

You know (maybe because of the quantity of miss selling here) I have not sorted this question myself. Though they sell fish as Melanochromis exasperatus here as well!

joanjohnsonae is the one and only good name I think.
I guess it does not fall nicely into either Labidochromis or Melanochromis.

·
Registered
674 Posts
bstuver said:
timstone said:
hormoned as well.....
Not likely he has had them for a long time.
i was talking about the fry.......its got a lot of color for being so small

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The colour of the fry is just how they look. Many Melanochromis fry look great as individuals, which of course helps them sell in the pet store.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
24Tropheus said:
"He is thinking Labidochromis exasperatus or Labidochromis textillis are these two seperate species?"

You know (maybe because of the quantity of miss selling here) I have not sorted this question myself. Though they sell fish as Melanochromis exasperatus here as well!

joanjohnsonae is the one and only good name I think.
I guess it does not fall nicely into either Labidochromis or Melanochromis.
Melanochromis joanjohnsonae and Labidochromis textilis are two different and separate valid species.
Most of the confusion stems from M. joanjohnsonae who has also been known as Lab. exasperatus and Mel. exasperatus before it was settled into Melanochromis joanjohnsonae. Doesn't help that they're often sold as the very uncommon Labidochromis textilis.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Thanks that would expane it nicely that I see both being sold but clearly the same fish.
Just the real Labidochromis textilis is not in these shops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
now what i find interesting is that i cant find textillis anywhere for sale, and from this sites profiles as wel they say that textillis used to be called labidachromis exaperatus, and then it had its name changed. and from what else i find online i cant fint any textillis available to anyone. which seems odd to me, as well as pictures of either fish being identified as the other. unless i can see a real textillis in person and it be largely different (because the only difference i saw that was written between them is a jaw structure) i think they are the same but with a different color varient. too much confusion leads me to think that is just a bunch of squabaling scientists causing problems with naming.

·
Registered
551 Posts
M. joanjohnsonae and L. textillus are two different species. The most obvious difference is that M. joanjohnsonae has approximately 6 horizontal orange stripes and L. textillus has approximately 9 of the horizontal orange stripes. And of course male M. joanjohnsonae turn blue similar to a socolofi when mature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts