Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Yes you should be concerned. I can't see it clearly to decide what it is. Google columnaris and see if it looks like your fish. Is it fuzzy at all?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Yes you should be concerned. I can't see it clearly to decide what it is. Google columnaris and see if it looks like your fish. Is it fuzzy at all?
Ok so it seems to be fungus. I put 1 tbsp per 2 gallons of aquarium salt in my tank last night.
I have sea chem paraguard on order supposed to arrive tomorrow. I was going to see if the salt by itself will do the trick before i use the paraguard.
How many days should i wait on just salt to fix the issue before i need to use the paraguard?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Columnaris is not fungus. Paraguard will not fix fungus. Not sure salt will fix fungus either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
Columnaris is not fungus. Paraguard will not fix fungus. Not sure salt will fix fungus either.
Ok so i looked up what you told me to and nothing on my fish looked like what you said you thougjt it looked like except fungus/fin rot.
Paraguard was recommended by many of people for ICH, fungus/fin rot, and a handful of other things.
The fish looks better today about 24hrs since the aquarium salt was added. Its not any where near 100% but better as far as the white blotches go on his fins compared to last night.
In your opinion whats wrong with paraguard for fin rot? What am i supposed to use? Some times the internet is very over whelming with info and every **** fish nerd has his own opinion on what meds to use and what is wrong with your fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I thought fin rot was mushy edges to the fins as opposed to a fluffy growth on the body. I looked up paraguard and see it claims to help with a variety of things including ich, bacterial and viral infections, parasites as well as fungus. So worth a try since you have ordered it. I worry the medications that cure a variety of things and with a variety of ingredients may not work as well as one that is focused on the illness.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so day 2 of just aquarium salt and the white blotches on his fins are shrinking.
I have the paraguard on deck but i want to see how the salt is going to work out by itself.
Maybe im being foolish but why mess with something if its working. I figured by day 7 at this rate it should be gone.
Also i must mention that i just think this is fungus from my online research i could be wrong in the identification but regardless its half gone in 24hrs so who knows.
Current water testing as of this morning are zero nitrites, zero ammonia, nitrates look close to high teens low 20 ppm in orange color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts