Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now he is 3 inches and in a ten gallon but might get a bigger tank soon what do you recomend

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
might i add he is super aggressive and will probably kill any tank mates i have tryed in larger tanks but moved him to his own he has killed two other african cichlids one a jewel and the other a mbuna

·
Registered
554 Posts
they grow to be around 5.5 inches, and I think they like a bit of swimming space. Perhaps some more room would be appropriate. I'd want it to have about two feet to swim. Alternatively, this might be the moment for that huge tank, where he would be the smallest fish?

·
Registered
843 Posts
At least a 20L, if not something around the size of a 29. Really, it's what you can afford.

Jewels can be unpredictable. But I would get him some dithers that aren't threatening. Most of my aggressive cichlids ignore dither tropical fish (like tetras), but zero in on other cichlids. If this fish is used to living by itself, it won't like the sudden addition of other fish. . .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He killed some tiger barbs i put in but im getting a 20 gallon soon then mabey put him in a 30 gallon with a female.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you get a female, aiming for a pair in a 30, don't bother with dithers. I have a pair of mated cons in a 29 tall...and they attacked/killed dithers and bottom feeders. Jewels will be worse.

Just try to give the female lots of hiding places so she can get away if the male gets too rough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts