Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some drift wood from my established tank and put it in my new one to help with the cycle. Today this is what I found growing on it!! What is this? Mold??

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I get rid of it? Will it hurt the tank? Why did it not grown in my other tank over the past year?

·
Registered
656 Posts
When I got it I threw away the driftwood. I think it happens when the wood starts to rot. I don't know if it's harmful, but I wouldn't want it in my tank. You can try to remove the wood and carve out the rotted parts with a knife, but it might come back. Might be time for new driftwood.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just think its strange that it only happen a few days after moving it form a cycled tank to a not cycled tank... :-?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Most likely will disappear in a week or so. Some fish may eat it but also most likely not a problem of any sort. Fungus has such a limited range of conditions where it can prosper that it is not likely to take over the tank in any way. Looking at the location, I would guess it is getting more light in that one spot and suddenly taking advantage to do it's thing. Think of the mushrooms in the yard. They show up overnight and may be gone the next day. Same family of strange little life that we don't often see. I'm not an expert to know whether it is fungus, mold or algae but call it what we like, it's normal. We just don't see it when it is in the lakes or rivers, so we think it strange.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to let it be, and just hope it goes away. I really want to put it back in my other tank like I had it before. There is what I would call spores all over the class int he tank, but i put a heavy blanket over the tank to stop any light coming it, so hope that helps. Whatever it is its not doing anything bad so far. This morning my ammonia was 0. :thumb: Wondering if it just started growing because the tank I put it in is so much warmer then the one its been in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to let it be, and just hope it goes away. I really want to put it back in my other tank like I had it before. There is what I would call spores all over the class int he tank, but i put a heavy blanket over the tank to stop any light coming it, so hope that helps. Whatever it is its not doing anything bad so far. This morning my ammonia was 0. :thumb: Wondering if it just started growing because the tank I put it in is so much warmer then the one its been in.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Could be the temperature that set it off. That type of stuff has a really narrow set of circumstances where it can grow so it often can seem just to jump up out of the ground for no reason. It often disappears for no reason we can see. Are you familiar with fairy rings? They are almost spooky the first time you see them in the yard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put bog wood in one of my tanks and had a redish algae growing for about 2-3 weeks then it just disappeared on it's own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
do not throw the drift wood away, this is common. Just like cycleing your tank, your driftwood needs to do the same, and grow good bacteria. You can pull it off for the first few weeks, or just let it go. It will dissapear and no problems. I had it on mine when i put mopani drift wood in my tank. Its a natural part of the cycle.

·
Registered
299 Posts
brokenwing said:
do not throw the drift wood away, this is common. Just like cycleing your tank, your driftwood needs to do the same, and grow good bacteria. You can pull it off for the first few weeks, or just let it go. It will dissapear and no problems. I had it on mine when i put mopani drift wood in my tank. Its a natural part of the cycle.
+1, happens to every peice of wood I put in my tanks.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It really is quite common to see some type of growth on wood. It is the spores of whatever that floats around in the air landing here and there. When the conditions are just exactly what they need, they grow. In this case we can't really see what the change from one tank to another might be but the little fungus is just trying to take the opportunity it has. This stuff comes in so many different colors, shapes and forms that we usually don't see. I worked for a time repairing boat docks in a lake and there is a never ending variety of freshwater stuff like this. We sometimes pay big money to see it underwater but it never seems right to see it in our tanks. Enjoy the free show. No glass bottom boat needed!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The fungus family are made up of Mold & Yeast. This is almost certainly a mold...and given the coloration perhaps a Penicillium which are very common in the environment.
It won't do any harm and certainly gives the tank a natural look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts