Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my currently set up malawi set up has ps. soulosi (about 3) and about 20+ acei. 3 adults and the rest are juveniles about 1.5 inches to 2 inches... I want some more bight colors to the tank. can I and should I fit more in my 75 gallon set up? I was thinking some yellow labs...

any thoughts?? comments?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would up the numbers of saulosi to around 5-6 (add females if you already have a male).
From there you could add 2 more species, however there might be too much yellow if you add labs to saulosi.
Check the cookie cutter for mbuna in the library or go through the species profiles for something you like, then post here.
You can generally accommodate 4 species of mbuna in a 75g.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If you want the acei to count as only one species, I would lower the numbers to about six individuals.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking of some red colors.. but I would have to go into the the Haps to get those colors... hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I agree with DJRansom. You have so many acei that they take up 2-3 slots alone. I would definitly lower those numbers if you want more fish.

Also IMO labs and saulosi do not look that great together. Saulosi look great when they are the only yellow but when you add yellow labs you might start noticing (like i did) that the saulosi kind of lose there UMMMPHH (for lack of better words). The labs are just so much bigger and more vibrant that the saulosi look small and not as pretty and become easy to miss.

You can get an orange color with some red zebras but your not going to find a true red mbuna.

If it were me i would trade some of those acei in and get some p. socolofi (albinos). They are almost pure white with slight hint of blue in the right light. Beautiful fish.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GaFishMan1181 said:
I agree with DJRansom. You have so many acei that they take up 2-3 slots alone. I would definitly lower those numbers if you want more fish.

Also IMO labs and saulosi do not look that great together. Saulosi look great when they are the only yellow but when you add yellow labs you might start noticing (like i did) that the saulosi kind of lose there UMMMPHH (for lack of better words). The labs are just so much bigger and more vibrant that the saulosi look small and not as pretty and become easy to miss.

You can get an orange color with some red zebras but your not going to find a true red mbuna.

If it were me i would trade some of those acei in and get some p. socolofi (albinos). They are almost pure white with slight hint of blue in the right light. Beautiful fish.
I had the blue socolofi's for a while when I was starting up this tank about a year and a half ago... they didn't survive for long. I don't blame myself for their death, i got them from petco. i never liked buying from there but I noticed they had them in their " african" tank area.

I do want more of a variant of color but I hate to part with my fish lol. I've grown fond of them and feel like a daddy in a ways cause of the stripping of them from the mother and caring for them as babies ... lol.. hahahaa.

even if its just one more species.. I would be fine.. thanks guys

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was interested in Hippo Point Salmons or Xystichromis sp. "flameback" but I don't even know where to get them. my LFS ( not pet land or pet co) don't usually have those species..

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Adding a few male peacocks might be successful. They would give you the color you wanted but adding them to mbuna tanks is hit and miss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts