Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After it being recommended on here i tried out the Seachem Prime and was really pleased with the results so i was wondering if anyone could now recommend me a decent Fertiliser to dose my Planted tanks with?

I need something effective but decent value for money. I see Seachem do Foulish and Flourish Excel are these worth buying?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
If your tanks are high light with CO2, then my advice is to buy bulk fertilizers.

If your tank is low light and no CO2, then I would advise against liquid fertilizers. Root tabs can be used for things like Sword plants or other heavy root feeders. The rest of the plants nutrition is best handled through your fish bioload in my experience.

What style tanks are you running?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i should have told you what i have already.

Substrate: Aquatic soil topped with gravel
CO2: i have a kit fitted but its more trouble than its worth so i dont use it.
Lighting: fairly low as im only using the standard fluorescents that came with the tank 1.25W/G
Ferts: currently none apart from what comes out of my fish
Plants: vallisneria spiralis and dwarf swords

·
Registered
229 Posts
If your tank is low light and no CO2, then I would advise against liquid fertilizers. Root tabs can be used for things like Sword plants or other heavy root feeders. The rest of the plants nutrition is best handled through your fish bioload in my experience
Thanks for this info #6, I have been experimenting with live plants in my aquariums and this
advice will help a lot.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Will1983
I would not do liquid fertilizers on your tank. I might not even do root tabs until later. If i did root tabs, I'd break them into small bits. The soil is often enough for things like sword plants for quite some time.

If you aren't into CO2, then Seachem Flourish Excel carbon can be a good alternative but you need to be careful as many have reported that vals don't do so well with it added.

·
Registered
56 Posts
High light is always asking for trouble. You get a high response from the plants at first, but then your water column is depleted of the least plentiful nutrient and the only thing left growing is algae. Rebalancing the tank is an art that takes considerable time to master. It's better to wait until you retire and you have nothing else to do. Like me!

Even 1.2 wpg is a bit much for a low light tank. Keep your lights on no more than 9 hours per day. Fewer if the tank gets even indirect sunlight. With a a significant fish load, CO2, then potassium and iron are limiting. Keeping your CO2 cranking at low levels during your lights on period (or use Excel) would be helpful as would be 20 grams of potassium sulfate per 100 gallons of makeup water (~20 ppm K) at water change. If you have soft water, instead use 40 grams of Seachem's Equilibrium per 100 gallons of make up water (~20 ppm K, 9 ppm CA, 3 ppm Mg, 0.1 ppm Fe) at water change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts