Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 9 rusty sex unkonw as of yet, 9 yellow labs unsexed, and 9 acei. they are all in a 125 gal tank with rock formations for caves. Just woundering if anyone had any suggestion or idea what i could or should add.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like a happy home (similar to my setup-125 with 6 labs 5 Rustys)

I have a couple of Plecos (4in) and 2 Corys (trilineatus) for cleanup, and some (4) cherry barbs as well.
I got the 6 labs as juveniles but both males had black in the dorsal fin, and quickly developed black in the pectorals, and anal fin, followed by an egg spot on the anal fin. A week later, I hade a female holding.

Watch the rusty's. The males will shiver at a female, and then they "dance" in a tight little circle. Mine are still juveniles, but easy to sex by their actions.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
way too many options to just start listing species. I'd say you can add 2 more mbuna groups, and a synodontis group if you're into them. Take a look through the profiles and see what fish you like. In general, you can probably pick 1 species from any genus (cynotilapia, melanochromis, metriaclima, etc), and avoid fish that look similar (i.e. no two blue barred species, etc.). Make a list and post it here and we can better help you narrow down a list, rather than randomly throwing out our own preferences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a couple that i was think of were
Bumblebee Cichlid
Electric Blue Johanni
Melanochromis Auratus
Cyanotilapia Afra "Jalo Reef"
MELANOCHROMIS CYANEORHABDOS
Pseudotropheus Saulosi Taiwan Reef
i kinda wanted one of the blue bar types but was not sure if they would work. heard they are aggressive

·
Registered
554 Posts
Bumblebees and auratus are both aggressive, and the others aren't exactly yellow labs either. Why not add just one big colony of demasoni? Blue bars, and many people seem to have luck with a large group

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Agree with Rhinox, though with those numbers, I might just go for 4 big colonies + synos (if you're into them).
Good point :thumb: I guess I just assumed that the OP was planning on weeding down his colonies eventually, since they're all listed as unsexed. With the larger colonies, 4 species total would probably be better.

i kinda wanted one of the blue bar types but was not sure if they would work. heard they are aggressive
I have metriaclima sp. dolphin aka giant demasoni in my 125. They get a little bigger than labs, and don't seem to be very aggressive, in line with what others have told me about them. I find them kind of aloof - they're shy, and they don't really cruise the tank very much. My dominant male is content with a small territory at the end of the aquarium, and doesn't usually stray more than a few inches from his cave except during feeding. I'm pretty sure I have 2 females and 2 males, and the 5th I'm going back and forth on depending on the day. I have noticed 2 of the males sizing each other up, but no deaths. No spawning in the tank yet either for them, probably because the fish I suspect to be females are usually at the opposite end of the tank from the dominant male. They're a very attractive fish though. They're one option for a blue bar fish.

Pseudotropheus demasoni is a blue barred fish that you can (and should) have a large group of. They are very highly aggressive conspecifically, and I've heard they typically do a good job weeding the group down to a stable colony on their own, with you sometimes stepping in to remove exiled fish or aggressors. I would keep them some day.

Another blue barred fish that is next on my wishlist the next time I want to try a new blue barred species is cynotilapia sp "hara". Some people around here have got some pretty stunning pictures.

Just giving you a few ideas since you mentioned you were interested in a blue barred fish. I wouldn't hesitate to try any of those 3 I suggested with your tanks current inhabitants.

As for your list, I would not recommend bumblebees, auratus, or johanni. They are all each pretty aggressive, but if you had to have one of them, you might have better luck with johanni or bumblebees. auratus are said to be the demon spawn of the mbuna world, though I have not witnessed their wrath first hand.

cyaneorhabdos aka mainganos are a great choice for a 125g tank. If you choose them, getting the ratio right is important. I once tried them and started with 6 - 4 males and 2 females they ended up being. One male was killed, and a female was about to be exiled before I got rid of them. I would definitely try them again some day, they are a very attractive fish.

saulosi is a fine choice as far as compatibility goes, but some (including myself) find there is a displeasing dissonance between the colors of the females and the colors of yellow labs. If you like the blue bars of the saulosi males, I recommend just going with demasoni for aesthetic reasons.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
Rhinox said:
Another blue barred fish that is next on my wishlist the next time I want to try a new blue barred species is cynotilapia sp "hara".
This is what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
more than twelve.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
What has worked for me in a 72" tank is 20 demasoni.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts