Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a very open ended question but.... Besides Cichlids, what else have people found that do okay in a Cichlid tank? I.E. crabs, shrimp, eels, freshwater stingrays, etc.... Just trying to make the tank a little more interesting and dont know where to start. I have mostly African Cichlids. :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
Synodontis Lucipinnis, Synodontis Multipunctatus and Ancistrus.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i keep 6 stingrays (so far 8) ), and IME, you should take them off your list. they can be aggressive eaters, amongst themselves, but are easily intimidated by the feeding styles of most other fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
Also I've read that people who keep shrimp, crabs and crayfish have problems because either the critter eats the fish or when the critter molts, the fish eat the critter.

·
Registered
561 Posts
1 angelicus, 9 petircola, & 1 decorus...with my T-dubs... :zz:

I just took the decorus out last month, and put him with my fronts...cuz the trophs nipped all his trailer fins... :lol:

·
Registered
586 Posts
synodontis ocellifer, synodontis eupterus, 2 polypterus senegalus, yoyo loach, 2 red tailed sharks, bn pleco, 12 giant danios, and 8 tiger barbs.

·
Registered
586 Posts
my tank isn't african, I have a jd, salvini, red devil/texas hybrid, and a crenicichla lepidota.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Depends on the type of cichlids.
I keep:
Brachyplatystoma juruense
Ompok bimaculatus
Acanthicus adonis
Auchenipterichthys coracoideus
Corydoras aeneus
Cory. panda
Peckoltia sp. Peru L205
Ameiurus nebulosus
Hemisynodontis mambranaceus
Noturus gyrinus
Horabagrus brachysoma
Glyotothorax sp.
Apteronotus albifrons
Osteocheilus sp.
Crossocheilus latius
Polypterus senegalus
P. ornatipinnis
P. delhezi
P. lapradei
Stiphodon sp.
Trigonostigma espei
Etheostoma fusiforme
Lucania goodei

I'm sure I'm missing a few and not all in the same tank of course. The smaller species I keep with my most harmless cichlids. The others go in tanks where they go completely unnoticed or are big and aggressive enough to stand their own with the bigger more aggressive cichlids.
I also keep a handful of species that simply do not get mixed with cichlids for their total inability to compete with them or simply become preyed upon by them.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have 2 African tanks.

In my malawi tank, it's just the mbuna and a couple ancistritus(bn plecos)

In my Tanganyika tank, I haven't been able to keep anything that eats algae alive. Both bn plecos died, as well as some nerite snails that I added. I'm gonna give some red cherry shrimp a shot, I'm getting them tomorrow at the fish club meeting. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
142 Posts
In my larger tank, I have 5 tiger barbs and a yo-yo loach, coexisting peacefully with a maingano, yellow lab, 2 red zebra, a convict and a frontosa. No problems, other than the convict occasionally chases the Frontosa, and the one inch yoyo puts the run on the maingano.

In my 35 gallon, 2 clown loaches, one zebra loach, bristlenose pleco and two parrot cichlids. These guys get along great

·
Registered
292 Posts
in my mixed mbuna, hap, peacock, tang tank...
I have a bn pleco and clown loaches.

In my shellie tank, I have a bn pleco, syn petricola, and precilla tetra as dither fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts