Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 54L (14.3gal) tank with 6 Dicrossus filamentosus. I intend to breed them so my water is quite soft and acid. I intend to bring ph range to 5.0. So my question goes to on what small dewlers should i keep with them? I was thinking about dwarf pencilfish but it disturbs me, as they aren't that low ph tolerant. So what do you people sudgest?

·
Registered
697 Posts
It seems that most Nannostomus are tolerant to around 5.5. I'm not sure if that .5 extra would be a death sentence. Are you looking for function or fasion? Dithers? Bottom feeders?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeah that 0.5 ph is the one that bothers me. I'm just looking for dithers just to relax them a bit. I curently have many branches and oak leaves in tank. So i was thinking of some dithers in mid or top level of aquarium.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The 5.0 is as likely to make the Nannostomus spawn as it is the Dicrossus. They occur together in nature, and enjoy the same type of habitats. The dropping to 5.0 from 5.5 is what occurs during the dry season. However, Pencils are not top dwellers so much, they basically stay midwater and near the substrate, much like the Dicrossus. Something like one of the Dwarf Hatchets, Genus Carnegiella (Marbles and Black Wings) would definitely stay at the surface, and also prefer the very low pH ranges. C. marthae and C. myersi are difficult to find, but Marbles are usually pretty common.

My experience has been that dithers don't help much. Dicrossus are just natural hiders, they slink around even when they think they are safe. They only seem to display when courting, as males are not territorial - females are. Their breeding pattern reflects this shy nature, in that the eggs are usually somewhat hidden, and the female tends to stand away from her eggs so as not to draw attention to them. Should anything threaten them, however, she is very quick to come in and defend them.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
My two pennies worth. I would not have any dithers in a 15 gallon tank that you were hoping to breed dwarf cichlids in. Only other fish I have in my apisto tanks are otocinclus.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok then i'll skip dithers in this tank.
Thanks for all your help. But right now i'm just amazed on how they act and slink around leaves in tank. I think i love dwarfs as much as geophaguses :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about any vegetation in aquarium? My lamp isn't strong (only 9W) and water is really dark. I'm curently keeping moos in aquarium, but i think it won't survive the conditions. So any other advice would be greatly apreciated :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm tryin to make a biotope aquarium, so i'll try my luck with some amazon swords.

And i have got another question. But this time not with dithers :)
How do i achieve ph 5.0? I use baltic peat whose ph is 3.5. but the results aren't that good. I have ph 6.
I only use water fro RO filter, so it's really soft. Should i put more peat in the water?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Most mosses are tolerant in low ph and low light. I wouldn't think amazon swords would do much under really low light and are best between 6.0 and 7.5.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most of the plantlife in Dicrossus habitats are either floating or flooded marginals. Blackwater breaks up light a lot and most habitats are in heavy forest areas so it is pretty shady and full of leaf litter anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah but dicrossus inhabit a large scale of Amazon river, so they might live somewhere among amazon swords. My aquarium is mostly really dark colored with lots of leaf litter and branches. I have java moss on few spots for cultivating microorganisms :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts