Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a penguin bio wheel 200 and since filters are pretty expensive I was wondering what some of you guys use. In heard that this green sponges work well and you just have to rinse them off every couple of weeks. Would love to hear what you guys use or some solutions. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi fish guy... it depends on your tank. what we usually use here are either trickle filters made by mr.aqua + canister.

for bigger tanks we usually prefer sump. its cheaper than a canister filter to build plus it has more room for your media and other equipment like UV filter, heater etc...

you can incorporate a moving bed filter in one of its compartment, bio media, mechanical, trickle type and UV. just need a good planing and your good to go.

they say your filter should have atleast 30% of your total tank volume.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Djoverdose I am also running a sump on the same tank the 200 is just for added filtration and surface movement. I was just wondering what people use because I don't need the carbon I just need something to catch the debris. I might just continue using the cartridges.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
See mine listed below. I think AquaClear make the best HOB filter and it does not constantly nickel and dime you. The sponge filter in it can last a couple of years and I rinse mine out every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fish guy,

Oh sorry did not noticed it or not familiar with the brand. you can always add a trickle filter if you want or just a plain OHF that will serve as a pure mechanical filtration.

atleast you will have two return pipes just arrange them in an opposite direction so that you will have a good flow. this will agitate your water well and will avoid dead spot. for sure your 2nd pump will suck most of the debris floating around. good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts