Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always heard variety is best but never get spawns.

I feed..
live brine shrimp( once a week)
Live blackworms ( once a week)

The other food I feed are
Ken`s sanddweller flake
Ken`s Brine shrimp flake
Ken`s Spirulina
NLS grow pellets
Northfin Cichlid flake

·
Registered
649 Posts
For many fishes variety is not best; that said, what you're feeding your Multi's is perfectly fine. Multi's not spawning? I don't know how that happens if you have both sexes of breeding age, so info on setup, water chemistry, and tankmates would be useful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For many fishes variety is not best; that said, what you're feeding your Multi's is perfectly fine. Multi's not spawning? I don't know how that happens if you have both sexes of breeding age, so info on setup, water chemistry, and tankmates would be useful.
I have 15 Multies all bought from different online breeders. Tank is 75 Gallon long with sand bottoms. Probably have no less than 50 Escargot shells.Weekly water change with Cichlid trace added and some Tanganyikan buffer. Filtration is an Eheim 2217 canister and a Acquaclear 110 HOB

·
Administrator
41,505 Posts
Providing the test results help sir_keith and others answer your question about food and spawning. API makes a master freshwater test kit with test tubes and regeants so that you can test these important factors that impact the health and reproduction of your fish.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Providing the test results help sir_keith and others answer your question about food and spawning. API makes a master freshwater test kit with test tubes and regeants so that you can test these important factors that impact the health and reproduction of your fish.
Excellent advice. From everything you've told us so far, this should be an ideal setup for the Multi's, and they should be breeding like rabbits. The fact that they are not suggests that something is off with your water chemistry, perhaps something as simple as pH. The API test kit that DJR mentioned is ~$40 on Amazon; it is money well-spent. For immediate results, many LFS's will do a water test for you at nominal cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You suggested I post my water parameters.
Here they are
PH
My tap PH is 7.4
My tank pH is 8.7 ( I add Seachem Tang buffer each water change)

Amonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5

Also, I add Seachem Trace elements with each water change

I religiously do a 35-40% water change same day weekly

I`d love feedback and/or suggestions

·
Registered
649 Posts
It sounds like everything in your setup is perfect, so I don't understand why your Multi's aren't breeding. One possibility is that they are just too young. Another is that they have not yet been able to establish territories. Have they been in this tank for only a short time? Or are you disturbing their territories with routine tank maintenance (e. g. gravel vacuuming)? Absent these issues, I'd suggest patience; in such a great environment, it's just a matter of time before you have little ones. Good luck. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts