Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. just want to know what brand/type of fish food do you usually feed your aulo peacocks to have great colors?

saw some peacocks here that has great coloration even in small size.

are they being fed with color enhancers or just plain old premium all natural fish food like dainichi or NLS etc.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I mostly use Dainichi color FX pellet and flakes. If you have seen juveniles with vivid colors in your local fish store, more than like there are hormoned. They obviously do this to get people to buy them because of their color. But over time, the color fades.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rgr4475,

Yup.... your right about the hormoned feeds from the LFS.

was just wondering specially when i watch videos from youtube. most of there aulos have a great coloration.

right now i feed a variety of fish food. i just mixed them all together in one container so they will have alil of everything.

from hikari-dainichi.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I feed 2 types, pellets and flake; 3 if you count the pellets rolled in the powder. -(Those only get fed twice a week.)

NLS
100% Pure Spirulina Flake
Naturose (Astaxanthan Powder)

G

·
lol i went overboard and i bought like 5 diff kinds of flakes and pellets from kens fish... mixed them all together... flakes i got brine shrimp, spirunlina, vegetable, color flakes, cichlid mix flakes, and pellets i went premium 4 bit blend, cichlid pellets, super color pellet, spirulina pellets and mixed some wardley and hikari pellets in too... so yea i probly shouldnt need food for a long time

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 for Dainichi Color Supreme & FX. Significantly better coloration than NLS. My Aul. Flametail & Red Empress absolutely SHINE with this diet.

I do mix in NLS Thera A or Metro soak once in a while as a bloat preventative.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
m1ke715m said:
lol i went overboard and i bought like 5 diff kinds of flakes and pellets from kens fish... mixed them all together... flakes i got brine shrimp, spirunlina, vegetable, color flakes, cichlid mix flakes, and pellets i went premium 4 bit blend, cichlid pellets, super color pellet, spirulina pellets and mixed some wardley and hikari pellets in too... so yea i probly shouldnt need food for a long time
LMAO...yeah, I'd say you're good on food!

nlui220
, I may have to add Dainichi Color Supreme to the diet, thanks!

djoverdose, here is a picture of my Euerka on the diet I mentioned:
(BTW- fins were torn up due to the rock in the tank; stupid mistake on my part :roll: )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice!!! keep em coming guys....

dannigirl,

thanks for posting a picture of your jacobs... yup he looks stunning...

how big is he?

had tried dainichi color fx, ultima and NLS before. i did not have good results back then. maybe because they where all abit small that time and colors are not yet well developed.

now im trying to feed them hikari biogold, dijana spirulina flakes,
HBH soft and moist with krill, HBH soft and moist with spirulina, tetra gold for goldfish (since cichlids and gold fish have the same requirements)

though i still want to go back to dainichi and nls. problem is that theres no LFS here that sells dainichi and most nls here are in 1mm pellet size.

btw how do you prepare the Astaxanthan Powder

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I feed mine the HBH Super soft and moist w/krill as well. I also feed NLS 1mm occasionally. The HBH was recommended by a highly regarded breeder/seller of peacocks and haps.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
djoverdose said:
dannigirl,

thanks for posting a picture of your jacobs... yup he looks stunning...

how big is he?
Thanks! All my jakes (Lemon, Hongi) do well on the diet. Most of them are 5" in length but that guy is one of the largest at 6" ...I've had him for a while.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have found that a mix of NLS and spirulina worked best to color up mine. With my Euerka's I added some krill to help with the reddish orange coloration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts