Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be getting a group of 10 male Peacock Cichlids and I am wondering what I should feed them over the course of a week?

I seem to be able to find plenty of info on Mbuna but not Peacocks for dietary requirements.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I feed New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula 1mm sinking pellets exclusively throughout the week and throughout their lives.

Northfin is a good food as well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I fed my all male peacocks and haps nls 1mm sinking pellets as well. Great food!

Just curious why you're only asking about a week?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
My impression was OP thought maybe a weekly cycle of various foods would be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so I was thinking of feeding the New Life Pellets in the morning. Hikari Pellets or some vegetables in the afternoon. No food on Saturday and maybe some frozen Cichlid foods on Sunday.

Would this be okay?

·
Registered
115 Posts
DJRansome said:
I feed New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula 1mm sinking pellets exclusively throughout the week and throughout their lives.

Northfin is a good food as well.
Curious how much daily? I'm thinking couple teaspoons?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Cozmoz said:
Okay so I was thinking of feeding the New Life Pellets in the morning. Hikari Pellets or some vegetables in the afternoon. No food on Saturday and maybe some frozen Cichlid foods on Sunday.

Would this be okay?
This would not harm your fish but why switch between NLS and Hikari? Peacocks are carnivores so I would skip the vegetables. The variety may please the fishkeeper but if you choose a quality staple food like NLS the variety is built into the food.

Amount is not even one teaspoon for the 72" tank and half that for the 48" tanks. 1X daily...so if you feed multiple times daily, divide the amount over the day.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I agree with DJRansome on the NLS or NorthFin. I used New Life Spectrum exclusively for 15 years. I have switched over to NorthFin these last three years. I think they are both great. Don't want to get into a "best food" debate here.

Tanganyika fish are not the easiest to keep but I have had tropheus on three occasions and never lost even one, cyps, sand sifters, foai, wild caught frontosas - many fussy fish thriving and breeding for many years on one type of fish food - no home made meals, no frozen foods, etc. A good quality pellet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts