Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I recently got 5 new Apistogramma Nijsseni (see here)

I've been attempting to feed them New Life Spectrum and brine shrimp, and they're currently only eating the brine shrimp.

I've heard that it's hard to get them to take dry food. Do any of you have any recommendations on what to feed them?

Should I vary their diet with some blood worms or micro worms, or is it fine that they're really only eating the brine shrimp?

Do any of you have recommendations on how to get them to take the dry food?

What do you all feed your apistos?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
There is much debate about feeding apistos bloodworms. They're not one of the foods I feed my dwarf cichlids. Live foods to consider are blackworms and mossie larvae, it's easy to cultivate both. Frozen foods, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and rotifiers are all fine.

I would not be concerned about apistos not eating dried food when you feed it to them. Apistos are dwarf sand sifters, and will often pick up and eat prepared foods as they are scrounging the substrate while looking for food.

Just continue feeding a mixture of live, frozen and dry foods and your fish will be fine. Oh, and many people recommend a "day off" in the feeding schedule. So one day a week do not feed them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DeadFish. Good to note about them sifting through the sand for leftovers. I'll have to look into cultivating or buying some of that other live food.

I've seen that other thread about a day off with the feeding, and I think I'll start doing that. Seems like people are getting good results that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.