Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i need to upgrade to a larger tank ( i was going to get a 125, but it was from crags list and it fell through etc). Anyway, I'm looking at either getting a 75, or 90. My question is which tank size would be better for a south american tank? The foot print for both of these tanks are the same size. The difference is in the height. The 90 is like 4 inches higher or so.

Im trying to figure out what the better size here is? should I wait and get a 125( or 110) because the longer tank will be longer? or will the fish get like and utilize the taller tank? I'm looking to get a long term tank, and i want to make sure that it will be the right size, and not just enough gallons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If it were me and I could fit a 6ft (125g) I would go with that. Will give you way more options as far stocking and most fish dont really use the added height.

Usually bigger foot print = better

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, its gonna be worth it to save up for it? how much ball park would a 125 new cost?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
JmeFitz said:
So, its gonna be worth it to save up for it? how much ball park would a 125 new cost?
A used tank on craigslist should go for about a dollar a gallon. You can add a few more dollars for a stand and decent filters etc. With tank, stand and filter I wouldn't pay over $250. The key with craigslist is be patient because some people ask ridiculous prices. The good deals are there if you're patient.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
>snip<

and most fish dont really use the added height.

Usually bigger foot print = better
I guess my fish did not get that memo :lol: A few of our tanks are "tall" and the fish make use of all the space, granted we do not stock shellies.

It really depends on what you plan to stock that tank with. If its mbuna, tangs or vic's the 75 would work and the 90 would give you more volume which is always good. If you plan on the more assertive mbuna, SA or Haps then wait on a 125 or larger footprint tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im planning on moving A juvy Green terror, texas and a few mbuna. Its a weird mix, but they seem to get a long, i haven't had any aggression problems, which is nice.

So, we are thinking that the bigger foot print would in the end be more beneficial then having more height?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My peacocks use the height in my 110 tall, but they will soon be moving to a 150 for the foot print. it just gives them more space to spread out, and you more space to build rock formations. height is nice for us humans bc it gives a bigger viewing object, but the fish really need the territory. think about it as having a really small lot for your house, you could always build up, but wouldnt you rather build out? height is good for increased volume, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Green terrors will get meaner the older they get, and that the texas will also need space, so im thinking that height is nice, but the over all foot print is just better in the long run.

Anyone getting ride of a 125 lol?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.