Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a diy PVC overflow for my 40g and I was wondering what diameter pipe to use. I have 1/2 inch clean flexible tubing that goes to my sump, but I was wondering should I make the overflow 1/2 inch or make it bigger and have an adapter to the 1/2 inch tubing. Would love some thoughts or pictures.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
when building an overflow, you 1st start with the size of your main tank.
then you decide what kind of turnover you want for that tank.
now you can pick a pump that can handle the turnover, then pick the overfow that
is capable of draining more than your pump can return at the
tanks head height

so if you have a 40g tank and you want, let say 10x turnover.
you need a pump capable of 400gph at 5'.
so at 400gph, you will need a drain capable of 500gph.
i think a 1" pvc drain can do 600gh.

hope that helps a little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I couldn't post a picture. The problem ended up being I needed some silicon it would work for a while but stop. I'm getting silicon tomorrow thanks for the help though. And I ended up going with 3/4 PVC mel_cp6. The flow is enough for me, and thanks for the info on flow rates.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have 1/2 inch clean flexible tubing that goes to my sump
Sounds like that is your limiting flow restriction in the drain circuit. I assume you're building something like a durso or one of those weird hang on tank overflow contraptions? If so, using any bigger than 1/2" won't get you any more flow, but I think it is said that for durso style standpipes, using a larger diameter than the drain tubing can make it run quieter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts