Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering turning my 55g qt tank into a Tanganyikan show tank in the next few months. What I am wondering is what would be good tankmates to put in the 55g as far as color, and variety. I already have a 180g Hap/Peacock show tank but now I want to try something new. I do have a Black Calvus in the 180, and would love some in the 55 if possible. Other considerations would be some Multipuntatis cats, and I think they are called Lufubu. Other then these what else has some nice colors and gets along well in a tank this size. Oh I did look at the cookie cutter setups in the library already, but want your input too.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'd go with the cats, the calvus, and throw in a group of leleupi for color. You could also add a school of Cyprichromis to fill the open water.

The cats will disturb the breeding of other fish, if that's a concern. Or, if you want to breed the S. multipunctatus, you may want to consider a big, dumb colorful Malawi mouthbrooder as a host. (I'm currently trying P. saulosi, I'll let you know how it goes.)

If you skip the leleupi, I'd suggest Paracyps for color in the open water. They can be kept with cyps, and shouldn't be harassed too much by the cats...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i would turn that spare 55g into a tropheus tank. You can keep 10 tropheus in there. They are very fun to watch and very active. If you get the right ratio then they will even spawn. Theres alot of really colorful tropheus out there, lots of options. IMO, they are also easy to care for with frequent water change and a good diet.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
triscuit
I'd go with the cats, the calvus, and throw in a group of leleupi for color. You could also add a school of Cyprichromis to fill the open water.

The cats will disturb the breeding of other fish, if that's a concern. Or, if you want to breed the S. multipunctatus, you may want to consider a big, dumb colorful Malawi mouthbrooder as a host. (I'm currently trying P. saulosi, I'll let you know how it goes.)

If you skip the leleupi, I'd suggest Paracyps for color in the open water. They can be kept with cyps, and shouldn't be harassed too much by the cats...

Hope that helps.
I have 5 Multipunctatis cats in my 180 too, and they are one of our favorites in there to watch. I would probably want to have some breeding in the 55g, especially since the 180g is an all male tank. I think it would be kind of fun to watch them and maybe trade fry with others too. I thought about cyps, but haven't done much research on them as well as the Leleupi.
blkg35 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would turn that spare 55g into a tropheus tank. You can keep 10 tropheus in there. They are very fun to watch and very active. If you get the right ratio then they will even spawn. Theres alot of really colorful tropheus out there, lots of options. IMO, they are also easy to care for with frequent water change and a good diet.
Funny that you mention Tropheus, I was considering a small colony of them but was told that they are very bloat prone. I also saw that they require alot of waterchanges, and I don't want it to be a chore rather then a hobby. I currently change about 30-40% each week on my 180, and 55g right now. Do you think that would be sufficient on a Tropheus tank? Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are currently doing those water changes, then you won't have any problems with your tropheus, if that's what you end up chhoing for your 55 ..........

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would up the water changes to 50% weekly if you'r going to go with tropheus. IMO, 10 trophs is not enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts