Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 7 Posts

Registered
So many top notch brands in "Fish Stores & Online" for people to choose from and many infamous "You Tube" recommendations vary. I currently use "Fritz Complete" water conditioner with my water changes. My fish store Guru says utilize "Stability from Seachem" for a week to improve biological media for those minor spikes in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
What brands do you fellow fishkeepers like and reason as I always want to UTILIZE the BEST PRODUCTS no matter the cost.
Hi!馃槂
We only recommend Seachem products! I've trusted them for years. They do actually what they claim to do and its definitely safe for all your babies!!馃槂

Registered
I use Seachem Safe, and since my tap water is ~6.4 pH r/o water, I also use a homemade buffer for all new water going into my tank (epsom salt, baking soda, Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt to add back in minerals). No other products or chemicals.
Hi!馃槂
Wow! I didn't know that you can make your own buffer! But then again, your ph is rather low then most places, I see.馃槂
What I have most problem with is the hardness here in Florida...yuck...it-s a real definite problem here in Florida with fish keepers. Most of our water is either "city water" that you can actually "smell" all the stupid chlorine orrrr well water with all its nasty goodies in it... We use to haul our water but now that we have reached 8 aquariums and soon to have a 90 gallon, we decided that we need to get something much more economical, soooo, we've purchased a water thingie for our kitchen faucet, A Pur system, which eliminates the nasty thingies in the well water for us that we fault uncomfortable with and with some research of mine, we found that we "boil" the water, that the so-called "hardness" is taken away about 75 percent!馃槂 sooo, we proved this definitely works for us!馃槂 thank you, Jesus$馃槂
We have a huge community tank, a Angelfish tank, a snail estuary, 3 different tanks that house our different cichlids that all don't mind the "hard water"; Oopsy, our Marble Crayfish tank too!
But, we do have 2 different kinds of Pufferfish that absolutely don't tolerate "soft water but our's was way too hard so we've cut it down.

Registered
That's mucho work to get your water parameters to where you want them. Didn't know Florida Water was that bad. Must be the tropical climate?
Hi!馃槂
Ohhh, yes! A very lot of work and I usually do it the night before my water changes because you must let it get to room temperature, of course... I sigh...
Yesss... Florida's "tropical" anddd everywhere has terribly, yucky water, unfortunately...

Registered
The more north & inland you go in FL the better the water quality.
Hi!馃槂
Not to disagree with you buttt nope!! Sorry... I live in St. Augustine and then there's Jacksonville then Georgia, you can't get any more "north or inland", hon. Water is bad all over believe me! If it isn't sooo chlorinated then it's swamp but we've figured a way around it all for our babies!馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
Hi!馃槂
Ohhh, yes! A very lot of work and I usually do it the night before my water changes because you must let it get to room temperature, of course... I sigh...
Yesss... Florida's "tropical" anddd everywhere has terribly, yucky water, unfortunately...
Hi!!馃槂
It's funny we were just talking about it but I just prepared this afternoon for tomorrow's fun and games!! The "dreaded water changes"!!馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀

1 - 6 of 7 Posts