Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many top notch brands in "Fish Stores & Online" for people to choose from and many infamous "You Tube" recommendations vary. I currently use "Fritz Complete" water conditioner with my water changes. My fish store Guru says utilize "Stability from Seachem" for a week to improve biological media for those minor spikes in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
What brands do you fellow fishkeepers like and reason as I always want to UTILIZE the BEST PRODUCTS no matter the cost.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is "Prime by Seachem" more effective than others with spikes in Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate with water changes? Hope your well doesn't go dry....lol
What about biological additives?

·
Super Moderator
5,934 Posts
Seachem 'Safe' powder for this guy. And that's mostly because I'm cheap (and it works). If I actually need to use the more expensive Prime due to it's 'heavy metal detoxification' properties? Then I've got much bigger problems to deal with, than just neutralizing some Chloramine or Chlorine in my tap water.
-
And no, I don't use any of the other biological additives and stuff you can add to your water (or boost up your biological filtration with).

·
Registered
491 Posts
FritZyme TurboStart 700 is the best bottled bac product for cycling. Cycles a tank between instantly to seven days, depending. Stability is very hit or miss.

If not cycling, then you should not need to add any bottled bac product at any time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use Safe due to the volume of water I regularly use. More bang for the buck. Regardless of manufacturers claims, I don't think any conditioner has any effects on nitrite or nitrate. Safe and Prime will dechlorinate and bind ammonia into ammonium for up to 48 hours. As for these bottled bacteria products, waste of money imo. Seachem Stability may as well be a bottle of root beer. It's completely ineffective. Your fully seeded filter biomedia will take care of ammonia and nitrite. Your dedicated water change ritual will keep nitrate at a constant level of under 20 ppm. The less additives and chemicals used the better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So other than basic water conditioners all other products such as biological, stress coats, water clear agents are overhyped?? Any other products that are useful?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Any other products that are useful?
Quality fish food. Spare parts to service filtration systems, back-up (extra) heaters, air pumps, etc.
Quite frankly these bottled "water enhancement" products are just flushing $$ down the proverbial toilet. I believe a lot of these products are marketed to newer aquarists that want a quick fix for poor fish husbandry and/or shortcuts to properly maintaining their aquariums. If there is a buyer they will market it for profit. Spend your hard earned money on things you actually need.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I tend to disagree as the bottled conditioner and bacteria completed the cycle in my tank nicely.
Is this not the same tank that you set up on April 16th?
If so your tank is now cycled because it's been running for over 6 weeks with fish in the tank.
You could have achieved the same results without adding bottled products.

I personally, like a lot of others, use Seachem Safe when doing water changes.
It's basically a concentrated version of Prime that is far more economical.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Is this not the same tank that you set up on April 16th?
If so your tank is now cycled because it's been running for over 6 weeks with fish in the tank.
You could have achieved the same results without adding bottled products.

I personally, like a lot of others, use Seachem Safe when doing water changes.
It's basically a concentrated version of Prime that is far more economical.
Exactly this. Seachem Stability is just BS in a bottle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seachem is doing mighty well with their products. I gather nobody likes any bacteria additive at all. In theory if you add it directly to biological media in your canister it should help but probably not to degree that it claims. Some infamous "YOUTUBE" guys love the product and it doesn't harm fish no matter the usage.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Seachem is doing mighty well with their products. I gather nobody likes any bacteria additive at all. In theory if you add it directly to biological media in your canister it should help but probably not to degree that it claims. Some infamous "YOUTUBE" guys love the product and it doesn't harm fish no matter the usage.
Those infamous you tube boobs who promote this **** are sponsored by Seachem and get free stuff for their support. Yeah gotta believe them that it works.:ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
41,844 Posts
I do prefer to suit the fish to the water (no adjustment needed) but if I had to raise pH I would use baking soda. You could argue that is a chemical, but as stated, better to avoid it if possible.

Reactions: noddy
1 - 20 of 31 Posts