Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Their color will pop with a black background. Considering many peacocks and hap males get blue faces the dark blue may slightly wash out their otherwise brilliant colour.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DanniGirl said:
Hey- where's the option for a 3-D background? :p

IMO, black all the way. :thumb:
Would love to do 3D, but dont want to have to tear down the tank to do so. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have seen posts where people use black laquer, has anyone used aerosol black laquer? Hope you consider this on topic Mandy :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I used spray on blue. Worked great.

Mandy, there are some 3d backgrounds by designs by nature that you can install with the tank running. I did this with my 20g long.

What size tank are you working with?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just put plain old window tint on the back of my bookshelf aquarium. 5%, it's dark as ****. but with white gravel, it seems to dull the fish's coloring.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My 125 has a black background and I couldn't picture it any other way. The consensus says black 25/1 . If I was a betting man I would bet on black.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flippercon said:
My 125 has a black background and I couldn't picture it any other way. The consensus says black 25/1 . If I was a betting man I would bet on black.
Would love to see a picture of your 125. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Is it cycling now? If so you can cycle the filters in a bucket or rubbermaid tub. If you really really really want a 3d background.

Here's an article on installing a bg in an established tank

http://www.designsbynature.net/2010/08/ ... s-of-tank/

Matt, at designs by nature, answers all emails too. Give him a shout if you are interested in pursuing it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Though I just realized the article says it isn't recommended for bg's over 1.5" thick so that really narrows down the possibilities for installing with water in the tank.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Spray bar has to be repainted. I've been spending most of my time on fry.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just finished cycling yesterday! :dancing: And after draining and refilling about 110 gallons, really dont want to have to do that for a looooong time. Also need to keep this on the cheap. Rather put more money in to fish, then decor. :wink:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Paint it and don't look back then. I had the same debate you did about money and then spent the money anyway :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.