Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 20gal long tank that i had set up as a high tech planted tank but have since taken out all the high tech plants and have just left java fern anubius some crypts and Echinodorus amazonicus. I use to keep cichlids a while back and now im trying to get back into it but would like to try and keep some of the smaller species if there are a lot out there. I would also like to be able to keep my school of rummy noise tetras a long with them.

thanks in advance!

Carter

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a low tech planted 20g long that I use for Lamprologus Meleagris (pearly ocellatus). I have a colony of 6 adults doing well.

I have 6 Rasboras in with mine and so far they are doing well.

In general though ocellatus are known to be more rowdy than other shell dweller species.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool those fish look nice! Would you know of any others with maybe some more color? I had at one time a cockatoo dwarf cichlid but he was very old and has passed. I have seen more of these guys but non of them anywhere close to as colorful as the one i had. Its fins were a really nice deep red. I think the shell dwellers are very cool too and have considered those. Could i mix the shell dwellers and the Lamprologus Meleagris?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Lamprologus Meleagris are a type of shell dweller.

If you want more colorful fish in a 20g long you probably will be looking at apistogrammas similar to your previous cockatoo.

I wouldn't judge the color of any fish based on what you see in a store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright cool! When you say dont just what they look like in the pet store are you saying that if they are fed the correct food and what not there color and designs with stand out more cuz i know that is how it is with some fish.

·
Registered
584 Posts
AquaCrazy,

Yes and no. That's partly true, better feeding and better conditions will make them color up, but there are other factors as well. Age, for example, juvies will typically be very bland, so young fish won't be as colorful as older fish. Additionally, there is proper stocking. Overstocked, crammed fish store tanks are a hostile environment, males seeing other males means a fight with many species, so they tend to dull their colors to prevent being seen as a threat. When you start keeping any sort of Cichlids, you'll notice that males who feel threatened, are hurt or sick, or otherwise will dull down their colors. I transported some Acei who were in bags for more than 5 hours without any provisions (like liquid oxygen, a heat pack, ammonia neutralizers, etc.), which is a VERY hostile place to be, these blue and white fish were snow-white by the time I got home!

Definitely look the species up on this site. Most of the fish are shots taken from the most experienced aquariums or on a dive straight in the lake they came from. I've found that nothing is more accurate than Cichlid-Forums species articles!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info! I will take that all in perspective for sure! I havent been on in a while been in the middle of kind of a messy move so havent really looked up what i want to stalk the tank with yet. I just remember when i had my cichlids they were a lot of fun to watch and didnt just swim in circles like other fish. i'd like to have something more entertaining to watch when im in the room. I appreciate all the advice it has helped a ton and put me on the right track!

·
Registered
705 Posts
*** done the shellie/transcriptus thing before. worked out well given the right amount of reading and setup of enviornment. i strongly reccomend getting the ocellatus. (they may have a rep for being tough but man they are a hoot to watch) GL making your choices, as with anything given the proper setup and enviornment will provide the best coloration. a happy fish is a colorful one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anthraxx8500 said:
I've done the shellie/transcriptus thing before. worked out well given the right amount of reading and setup of enviornment. i strongly reccomend getting the ocellatus. (they may have a rep for being tough but man they are a hoot to watch) GL making your choices, as with anything given the proper setup and enviornment will provide the best coloration. a happy fish is a colorful one.
tahnks for the advice! Those were actually the ones i was looking into. they do seem pretty cool! its also good to hear that there fun to watch too! thanks!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Consider also the smaller west africans like pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi. I have a group in a 20L. Very easy going. I have two males that are colored up and doing fine. I also had 2 females holding at about 1.25".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts