Juli.Transcriptus / Julidochromis marlieri

home will be a 20 gallon long.

looking for a compatible algae eater.

pH will be 8.4+

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think the Ocellatus would make a meal of the nerite snail.

Funny I didnt think about the BN pleco, I have 2 in my 125 (I've only seen 1 lately though - they hide real good).

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Snails are fine in most cases, occies really aren't that tough on them. I've had similis that killed them and telmats as well, but my occies always tolerated them. The one problem with nerites is making sure they get enough to eat once the algae is gone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My LFS owner gave me good advice after I lost about a half dozen plecos. When I was big into Mbuna I never had a problem keeping plecos with them. But my Tangs are pretty rough on them. He told me not to add any pleco to a tank of cichlids (in general) that is not twice as big as the largest cichlid in the tank.

Now I don't totally agree, but with tangs I do. I never thoght I would see the day when 3 inch cichlids would almost scale a 5 inch pleco until a breeding pair of N. brichardi almost did.

I still like pleco types in my tang tanks, and once had to destroy a Hypostemus plecostemus that had grown to 16 inches and I could no longer house it. It's last home was in my garden pond in northern Arkansas. I hated having to do it.

Dwarf BNs are the answer, but make sure they are large enough when you put them into your tang tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've kept these Dwarf BN plecos with many tangs and have never had a problem with them. They even breed, some of the plecos I have now are 4th generation. Right now I'm keeping them with some Tropheus alongside some SAE's. I don't know that I'd want to keep them in a 20 long, just because you'd be better off spending the bio-load on cichlids.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glaneon, for your 20G get yourself a 4 or 5 nerite snails. Trust me, 2-3 weeks later, you will love to grow some algae to feed your snails.
Glass surface get's so clean, that I don't use magnet cleaner any longer.
River rocks are "polished" as well, texasholey rock is 97% clean.

Also don't forget to add some MTS, they are good for "bulldozing" your send.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's an MTS?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Malaysian Trumpet Snail. To many, they are a plague. Occasionally you find someone who actually likes them. :lol:

My Tangs do bother/kill my nerites. I love them too. :( Even though they do not give me the 100% clean results others get. The nerites do well for me with peacocks only.

BN are my most reliable algae cleaners across tanks.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Depending on how much algae you have and where its growing you may want to skip the algae eater entirely. BN plecos do little for the glass and mostly clean the hard-scape items and nerites can be tricky to feed. The best course to take in algae control is usually to restrict feeding and maintain good water quality.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 2 small sail fin plecs that cleaned the back and sides of my tank in 3 days. If you want something other than BNP. My tangs ignored them after a couple of days. I also have some of those simple little spotted cats. Tang cats like caves and it takes away spots for my other tangs. Plus tang cats like to raid eggs. The horn snail is cool at first but but then you wake up one day and its a million of them. They must taste like junk because the cichlids wont eat them. In each species of cichlid a male or in some cases a female will be more agressive than others so sometimes you may get mixed results using the same formula. I have 2 Black congo calvis, 4 Juli trans gombi, Cyps sebwesa, 5 neolamp shell fellas and 2 of those asian shrimp (the ones with the brown body and light stripe on the back). All but the Calvis are small. Home is a 135 gallon tank.

·
Registered
185 Posts
West african algae grazing goby..
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/211067/product.web

my ph is 8.2 and they thrive for me. I have 3 but started with 2.. Cleaned every surface in my tank in less than a week!! I keep ocies, and while they don't clean the ocie shells they clean everything else!!
I wish more people would look at these guys!!! THEY ARE AMAZING!!
I cannot say enough for these little guys. This is were I got them too! Better than any pleco, otto, snail, shrimp, whatever..
and, they stay very SMALL.. A++++

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow they look cool. Have to try those myself just to see how they behave. I'm sure they dont.....but I'll ask anyway. Do they make tunnels like the saltwater kind? They still seem cool if they dont.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, we have a white-cheeked goby that would eat anything smaller than my thumb. He's a blast.

Hadnt heard of an algae-grazing goby. My wife would love that. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
they will dive into the sand if threatened.. But they don't burrow in the sand as a home.. unlike plecos that change their appetite when older, and just sit there.. These guys are very active and always eat algae..
These came from Camaroon in western africa and live in fast moving streams. However, i keep an oscillating powerhead for movement, I was told it is not completely necessary for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts