Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new here and to cichlids. I just switched my 40 gal oceanic tank over from tropical to cichlids and want to upgrade my filter from an Aquaclear 70 to a canister.

I have researched and dedided to get an Ehiem but do not know what model to choose. I was thinking about the Eheim Pro 2028.

I am open to all suggestions as to what everyone thinks would work well for this tank.

The fish in this tank range 1 1/2" - 3"
the list include:
2- electric Yellow
2- Lethrinops Intermedius
2- Galireya Reef
1- Ps. Greberi
1- Msobo
1- Ps. Greberi
1- Placidochromis Phenochilus
1- Rubescens
1- Ngara

·
Registered
74 Posts
1st off in in a 40g you are looking at a blood bath with that fish list ( unless it is a 40 breeder thats 4ft long) Make sure you have a ton of rock work and it might work out well. Keep the AC70 on the tank and running AND ad the Ehiem, witch is a very nice chose in a filter. A 2215 will do the the jog too for a few less $$. You can never over filter!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have narrowed it down to either the Eheim 2217 or the 2028.

I do have a ton of rock in the tank, every fish has it's own place to hide. When I walk by the tank in the morning I do not see 1 fish fish until I turn the light on in the room, then they start to come out of the rock to see what is going on.

As for having a blood bath I hope that does not happen. This list of fish was picked by the owner of a very reputable Cichlid only shop. Who says these fish will be fine together in my tank. If not I do have a 135 gal I can transfer fish over to.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
This list of fish was picked by the owner of a very reputable Cichlid only shop
That would be highly debatable IMHO.
Several glaring issues:

1)Mixing the haps with the mbuna
2)Having haps in that small of a tank in the first place
3)The onsie/twosie mix--unless you're certain they're all males and even then this mix is not so good
4)etc.....

I think either filter would work very well if you've got the bucks, both are capable of handling larger tanks. Even 2215/2026 sizes would be fine.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
are you only planning to run 1 canister (long term) in this tank? you should be fine if you get another AC 70 or 110...eheim 2217 is great also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts