Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at fish with my mom, and she really liked them. I know they're more evil than some, but who can you keep them with? Preferably no brown mbunas.

Also, at what age do males start acting aggressively so you can tell them apart, for those species with no color difference?[/i]

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Kenyi males turn a dull yellow and the bars fade, maybe @ 3" or so, and they get super nasty. I won't personally ever attempt to keep them again. (or auratus, or crabro, or johanni...) but those are what I might attempt to keep with them. Unfortunately the fish stores are full of these, maybe because they don't get killed off themselves and cause enough destruction to drum up more business? Most africans seem to get aggressive at roughly half adult size.

If you want blue with black bars, there are tons of better choices. How about saulosi, yellow females and blue/black males?

·
Registered
677 Posts
you can keep auratus with them... I have'em both in groups of 6 for over 4 months now and so far things haven't been bad at all...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I wouldn't suggest the auratus. It's also an aggressive cichlid, and will stand up to the kenyi, which will only heighten the aggression levels in your tank. I suggest a calmer Mbuna, such as yellow labs, Acei, Rusties (I. sprengerae)...that won't bother the kenyi.

You can keep almost anything you want with Kenyi. You just have to make sure you have the right size tank and as many females as possible per male. Kenyis I'd suggest at least 6 females per male if not 7 or 8, to be on the safe side. Avoid other blue-barred and Metriaclima species though. Blue-barred species will fight each other (though if they are different enough sometimes it can be avoided, e.g. Demasoni and C. Afra Cobue can be OK). I wouldn't do Kenyi and Red zebras though; they're both of the Metriaclima genus--i.e. similar body shape which can cause them to fight.

The real problem is you won't know the sex till they reach sexual maturity--approx. 2" long, maybe sooner, maybe longer. You just have to be prepared to remove excess males and replace with, what you hope are, females. It's a guessing games.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Let us know what you're thinking before you get it...we can save you a lot of grief :lol: good luck! :thumb:

The worst thing you can do is impulse buy.

The kenyi I had were little monsters, terrors at times, but if you love them (and they're your favorites), it's well worth it to keep them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, any impulse buys would be far in the future. I don't actually have a tank or any equipment yet, it's just I've been laid up in bed with a sprained ankle and I've been obsessively planning. xD It's a thing I do to pass the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts