Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm drilling a hole through some thin acrylic (it's the back panel of an acrylic 5 gallon bowfront tank) to put a 3/4 inch bulkhead in it. I don't have any scrap acrylic or MDF lying around to support the piece while I drill it to prevent cracking and chipping. Can I use 3 layers of cardboard between the acrylic and an old hard cover notebook. It will look like this

|
\_/ ] Drill bit
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ] Acrylic
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ] Cardboard
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ] Cardboard
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ] Notebook
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ] Notebook

I built this diagram and it seems pretty sturdy. I will be running it with water to keep things cool. Sorry about the ugly diagram.
Also, I am using a step drill bit. Is that ok? It said it was ok for plastics. However, it is a little dull. I tested it on an unsupported piece of hard plastic (the cover of an old fluval aquaclear filter) and it cracked at the 1 inch step.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tacs. I am trying to build a nano high tech planted tank. I had the 5 gallon lying around (it was my first aquarium). I did want to add water volume and a means of concealing all the equipment, so I'm building a sump, hence the bulkhead. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the acrylic is more than 1/8 inch thick. Thanks for the links tacs. Will look into those for sure. I will probably post a thread once I get started on it. I have all the equipment in place, except for a few miscellaneous plumbing parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts