Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I can get a good deal on a second hand tank which is 40" length x20" depth x24" height. A volume of 80 gallons. I want this to do a tang community tank. Since this is a non-standard shape I wanted to ask what sort of stocking would be viable in this tank. How about:

Open water: 12 cyprichromis leptsoma (non-jumbo) or 8 paracyprichromis nigripinnis

Rock pile on one side: A pair of calvus

Rock pile on other side: A pair of smaller julies e.g. transcriptus

Shell bed in middle: multie colony

I would add another tall stack of rocks at the back if I went with the paracyps. Would I have enough footprint to include some sand sifters like Xenotilapia flavipinnis as well? I would guess not. Could I have those instead of the multies?

Thanks for your help,
Chris

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
In a tank that is relatively short, I would suggest sticking with the Paracyp's, instead of the Cyp's. I would also drop the Julies, and go with Xeno flavipinnis.

So, calvus, multis, Paracyp, flavipinnis. Xeno. flavipinnis isn't a true open water sand fish, and will breed on top of a flat rock in the aquarium.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow. Thats a great idea with the xenos. I am setting up a similar tank now and have an almost identical list of fish. But I hadn't thought of xenos instead of the julies or other rock dweller. Mine will be a 55.

I did some searching looking for articles on these guys. Couldn't find much. Anyone have any good links?

Good luck with the tank. Sounds great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts