Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8 Heros. sp. Atabapo growing out. NLS is there staple, but should I be including greens in their diet? What are some things I can feed besides peas?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I tend to keep a clump of Najas in the tank with my pair. They like to peck at the leaves, and pull a few off to chew. Any soft plant would probably do as well.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Romaine lettuce used to be rather popular with a lot of Sev owners here a couple of years ago. You could also consider Hikari algea wafers. I've never kept Sevs myself, but my Geo. araguaia and Lemon tetra used to go nuts for the algea wafers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Inferring from the molecular evidence I obtained (both mitochondrial and nuclear), the Electric Blue is a Jack Dempsey. I don't know where the rumor started about it being a hybrid with tetracanthus but I can assure you that it is not. The (Electric) Blue Dempsey does not appear to occur in the wild, I would speculate that the color morph appears because of inbreeding within the aquarium trade. Hope that helps, Prosanta"

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
veersing said:
Inferring from the molecular evidence I obtained (both mitochondrial and nuclear), the Electric Blue is a Jack Dempsey. I don't know where the rumor started about it being a hybrid with tetracanthus but I can assure you that it is not. The (Electric) Blue Dempsey does not appear to occur in the wild, I would speculate that the color morph appears because of inbreeding within the aquarium trade. Hope that helps, Prosanta"
Intersting post on a totally unrelated topic. So can you link us to the publication where this evidence is documented? A new post in the CA cichlid section would be appropriate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts